Step Outside Of Your Comfort Zone, I Promise It's Worth It

Do you remember the last time you spent way too many days at home, without anything out of the ordinary happening? Were you bored? Did you deny invitations to go out with your friends or even turn down activities that involved potentially meeting new people?

I know I've experienced this.

But, why? Why did I continue this? I was "iffy" about leaving the space I was familiar with. I was lazy to try something new. If I didn't know it, I didn't want it.

This type of energy transcended into far more than just what I did during my free time. It transcended into all aspects of my life. I noticed that I wasn't shooting high enough because of fear of failing. I wasn't going out of my way to meet new people because there was nothing familiar about the environment.

I recognized this trend growing. I did everything to an extent and that extent was the edge of my comfort zone.

The moment I realized just how many opportunities I was letting slip by I made a move. I said, "no more" to sticking to what I knew. If I didn't have a problem traveling to new countries and experiencing new cultures, why was I limiting myself to personal and professional development?

When this year started, I made a promise to myself. That promise was to forget what others may think and shoot for the stars. I decided to run for an executive position in a very active and large club on campus. A position I never thought I would get because of the number of people involved and the amount of public speaking I would have to do. I was scared to speak up in the classroom when I knew the answers because of fear of being incorrect and judged. I was intimidated by the interview process for my dream internship and almost talked myself out of applying. Three things that were once all outside my comfort zone.

Today, January 30th, 2019, I can say that because I had a little pep talk with myself and a whole lot of self-realization, I went full force ahead and have seen tremendous growth within myself. I earned a position on the executive board for a club that changed my life. I grew confidence in my thought process and speaking in front of a classroom. I even made it all the way to the finalist round for my absolute dream internship round. Three things I never could have imagined happening if I had stayed back in my comfort zone.

With this, I want to urge each one of you to try something new. To set goals higher than what you think you can achieve because at the end of the day the only thing stopping you is your mentality. If you tell yourself it can't happen, it probably won't happen.

Take every opportunity you can to experience new activities, to meet new people. Life is too short to just stay at home. Step out on the court and play! Life is full of new opportunities.