Outlets Of Expression: Poetry

Outlets Of Expression: Poetry

Creativity is diverse.

102
Outlets Of Expression: Poetry
Barrow Street Press / Instagram

Poetry is one of the branches of creative writing. Outside of the world of professionals is the small cute world of “aesthetic people” seeking a more distinctive sound. We write short stories, poetry, novels and weirdness mostly. Weirdness that matters to us, that we structure from the deepest part of our soul for not just us, but for those who are reading our work.

For us poets, what we write is not always the clearest for us, which explains why we blur out our message with enigmas. It contains bizarre syntax, both sane and insane people, stories, indirect feelings, obsessions, constructions of unusual visuals, etc. I can go on forever. The point being that people stir away from poetry because we scare them away with our dense writing. As confusing as it may seem, we love it, I love it. Let me tell you why.

I love poetry because it allows me to write something out of the ordinary. Being an English and Journalism major has given me the opportunity to explore both the professional and normal bounds of writing; along with the creative side of it as well. Journalism is based on rules you must follow in the structure of your writing and being as less biased as possible. Our job is to give you the facts. Especially when writing a feature story about someone’s life (aka a profile) or writing about the latest political scandal.

No matter what journalism us journalists decide to pursue, we must know the facts of that particular subject first. And remember that being sympathetic and biased are two different things. Those that require a lot of focus and attention to human behavior. We’re your typical criminal minds profilers. Don’t get me wrong, there is plenty of other journalism writing that allows you to be more loose and a little more biased with your writing, but I could talk to you about that all day.

In poetry, I can be more mysterious of how I wanna build up my character and plot. Work in poetry is not simply an abundance of confusion, but it is to be personal in public with a twist. The nice thing about writing in different forms is that I get to transition from them, manage my writer's block, and still be productive.

For the world of literature, it’s a complete different world. There are academic forms of literature such as essays, book reports, reviews, research papers, etc., which all contain their evidence as well, but differently. Their evidence is based off the type of genre you are working with. Writing is endless. There is so much writing and reading that you can understand why most English majors wanna rip their hair out during midterms and finals week. NOTE: Do not underestimate writing an essay as the easy way out of an exam because its a little more intense than you think.

Back to my point, poetry has my freed soul writing the way I aspire to creatively compose. I guess you can say I am doing it now, but more clearly. Poetry allows me to write indirectly, which isn’t the best thing sometimes because it makes other people feel left out. Although, to those outsiders new to poetry, I am sure you have your own outlet to express yourself too.

If you don't understand poetry, that is totally okay because creativity is diverse. For us, it just naturally rings the way you ring when you’re rapping, making movies, singing, producing beats, playing the piano, etc. The way we write is the way we listen to different rhymes, consenants, vowels, and just WORDS IN GENERAL. Whatever makes you expressive and not trapped in a world of normality is what is gonna liberate your mind in the most gratifying way.