Outlawed: Part Two

Outlawed: Part Two

Ryanne is now on the run, but how long can she hide for? And more importantly, who will she meet along the way? Part two of "Outlawed" will explain.

4
Outlawed: Part Two
Tumblr

On the outskirts of the Round was our town’s local bank. I decided to stop there and take out as much money as I could without being to obvious. I had thousands of dollars in my account, so I took out two thousand. The teller didn’t even give me a second glance.

As I left the bank, I took a look back at my home. I could see my house up in the hills, no one wondering where I was or what I was doing. Everyone was probably eating breakfast, I wasn’t even a concern to them anymore, and they didn’t care about me. I looked at the envelope of money in my hand and started to second guess my decision to leave. I could stay, marry a man I don’t even love and have everything I could ever ask for. Or I could leave, find someone who loves me for me, not for my social status, and have a home full of love where I would care about each and every one of my children. With that, I started walking towards the high lines nearby.

“Taxi!” I yelled out. No one could hear me over the roar of the city. After walking a majority of the day, I ended up in the local city, called the Highlines, ironic enough, since it was right next to the high lines. You could say that this kind of city was like a downgraded New York in America, but for tonight it would do for a place to stay.

I finally caught a taxi driver’s attention, and I told him to bring me to the closest, cheapest hotel. He drove a few blocks until parking outside in front of a massive hotel. The place was bigger then my own home back at the Round, height wise, at least. I paid the driver and got out of the car, my bag over my shoulder as I looked up at the building in front of me. The March wind blew on me and I shivered, making the decision to go inside.

“Welcome to the Jin Hotel.” The receptionist said to me. “How may I help you?”

“I’d like a room for one please.” I told her, taking my money out of my bag. I tried to be discrete with all the cash I had on me, but that was kind of hard.

“Of course.” She said with a slight smile. She typed away in her computer and then asked, “How many nights?”

I didn’t know how long I would be staying in the Highlines. The area seemed nice enough to start a new life, but there was so much more out there. “Two nights for now.” I told her.

“Alright.” She said, typing again. “That will be $60.”

“Wow.” I said, surprised at the low cost. “Okay, here.” I handed her the money and she handed me my room key, second floor, room 345.

I made my way to the second floor, which was long, very long. For a cheep hotel, it was very nice. The rooms were very big too. I had a queen size bed, a mini fridge with water inside, and a large bathroom as well. I set my bag down on my bed and took out all of my belongings. I still had everything I had packed, even the food Aine gave me. The picture Clair had given me was still in my back pocket, so I took that out and put that in the zippered part of my bag so then I would never loose it. I also had the pin on my leather jacket still. I decided to keep that there for now.

“Room service!” I heard from my door. Room service? I didn’t order anything though; and the last time I checked women didn’t sound that manly.

I walked over to my door and opened it, not even bothering to check the peep hole, which was probably a bad idea since there was a chance people from the Round could be looking for me at any moment. There was a young man, he looked around my age, standing there. He had dirty blond hair, bright blue eyes, and adorable little nose. He was probably the most beautiful boy I had ever seen.

“Oh.” He said after I opened the door. “I’m sorry miss, I thought…” He seemed more dumbstruck then I was, but why? I wasn’t really a looker.

“You thought…” I encouraged him to go on.

“I thought this was my mate’s room.” He finished. He pulled out his phone and looked at a messaged and then said aloud, “Room 346! I was one off.”

“It’s okay.” I assured him. He smiled at me; even his smile was beautiful.

“Oye!” I heard over to my left. There was another young man, who also looked around my age, calling over to us. This was the boy in room 346.

“Hey mate!” The other boy said. He didn’t walk over though, he stayed where he was in front of me.

“Who’s your lady?” His friend asked.

“Oh, I’m not-“ I started, but the other one cut me off.

“I never caught her name.” He said, looking down at me with that smile on his face again.

Who was I again? I couldn’t remember the name Aine and I came up with. I remembered everything else I was supposed to tell people, but why couldn’t I remember my name!

“Ryanne.” I said. That was it, you could easily say that was a close one, I was staling too much.

“Ryanne.” The boy in front of my repeated. I smiled shyly at him, then he said, “Lovely. I’m Niall.”

He stretched out his hand for me to shake, which I did. “Nice to meet you.”

He didn’t let go of my hand right away, his friend had to interrupt. “And I’m Terry.”

I shook his hand as well. “Nice to meet you too.”

“So, Miss. Ryanne, what brings you to the city?” Terry asked me.

I had to remind myself not to give away my real reasons of running away, as tempting as it was. “I’m making my way to my aunts.” I kept it short, and so then they wouldn’t ask anymore questions, I asked then, “What about you?”

“Terry here,” Niall said, patting his back, “Has turned 18. We’re here to celebrate the true Irish way.”

“Alcohol and strippers?” I guessed.

“I like this girl!” Terry said to me with so much enthusiasm that I couldn’t help but laugh. “Hey, you should join us tonight!”

“What?” I said surprised. I was never good at meeting new people, let alone go out with them somewhere.

“Yeah! You should! Shouldn’t she, Niall?” Terry asked him.

Niall just looked at me, not really sure of what to say. He rubbed the back of his neck and said, “I mean, if you wanna.”

Luna was always shy most of the time, and never went out with Aine or anyone else. But I’m not Luna anymore, I’m Ryanne, and if Ryanne wanted to be rebellious, or close to it, then why not?

“As long as you don’t make me strip, then sure, I’d love to.” I said.

“Wonderful!” Terry exclaimed. Niall’s face instantly lite up at my answer. Was he happy I was going? Possibly, I was kind of excited to be going as well, and if Niall was going, then it was going to be ten times better.

“Meet us down in the lobby at eight okay?” Terry told me. I agreed with him and they both went off to Terry’s room.

“Bye Ryanne.” Niall said to me.

“Bye Niall.” I said back to him. He smiled at me about before shutting the door of Terry’s room.

My heart was beating a thousand miles per second. I had never felt this was before for someone. Was this what love felt like? But I didn’t even know Niall. He seemed like a sweet boy, but for I know he could already be married to someone, or arranged with someone. I had to try and not get my hopes up, but I hoped none of that was true.

My phone started going off then, I looked at the caller ID, thinking it was going to be my mom, but it was Aine.

“Hi Aine, what’s up?” I answered.

“Luna!” She shrieked. Her voice seemed like she was in a panic, like something just happened.

“Aine what’s wrong?” I asked, concerned.

“They know you’re gone.” She said quickly. “They asked me where you were and I told them I didn’t know like you said I should’ve. I said you spent the night here and when I woke up you were gone. I have a feeling they’re going to look everywhere for you. Where are you?”

I couldn’t believe it. It’s only been a day and they’re already looking for me. “I’m at the Highlines.” I told her. “Thank you for covering.”

“You’re welcome.” She said. “I know none of this is far in your point of view, but Luna, why can’t you just save all this trouble and come home?”

“Because,” I started to answer, but I couldn’t get the words that I wanted to say out of my mouth right away. ”I’m starting to be happy here.”

“Where are you staying?” She asked.

“A cheap hotel.” I answered. I went into the bathroom and looked around. “I’m going out tonight.”

“Luna you should really keep a low profile right now.” She said. “Stay in for the night and then move along somewhere else tomorrow or something. I can update you if I hear anything.”

“Aine. “ I stopped her from rambling. “I met someone.”

“What?” She asked, confused.

“I said I met someone.” I repeated. “Here, in the hotel. His name’s Niall.”

“Oh so it’s a boy.” She said, I could tell she had a sly smile on her face. “And who is this Niall boy if I may ask?”

“I mean, I don’t know much about him; but he and his friend invited me to go out with them tonight and I said yes. I can’t just stay here all night. I’ll be careful, I promise.”

“Alright fine.” She said. “But if you see and sirens going off you go straight back to the hotel you understand? I don’t want you to get caught because you’ll be in so much trouble.”

“I know, I don’t want to either. I just want to start a new life with something new, and with this new me.” I said to her.

“Alright.” She said. “Be safe okay?”

“I will, promise.” I assured her. I hung up and checked the time, it was 6:30, so I went into the shower to get ready for my night with Niall and Terry.

I had nothing to wear. I never thought about going out with people while on this crazy adventure. All that was in my bag were jeans and shirts. I tried to spruce up an outfit, some dark jeans and a short sleeved white shirt, along with my leather jacket. It seemed fine for now, and my bright blue Vans added a pretty nice touch. I also French braided my new black hair, I didn’t like it in my face. I wasn’t smart enough to bring a smaller bag to use as a purse or anything, so I stuck my money, room key, and phone in my pocket and headed down to the lobby.

Niall was already down there. He was wear a bright blue tee-shirt and dark jeans with white sneakers. When he saw me a huge smile came across his face as he walked over to me.

“Hi.” He said. I could see his cheeks turning somewhat red.

“Hi.” I said back to him; I was probably blushing too, but I didn’t want to admit to it.

“You look nice.” He said to me, acknowledging my quickly put together outfit.

“Thank you.” I said. I didn’t have the chance to compliment him since Terry popped out of nowhere all of a sudden.

“Hello lads!” He said. “Are we ready to party?!”

“You know it mate!” Niall said.

He looked at me for an answer and I said, “Oh, um, yeah sure.”

“Oh c’mon, Ryanne! Lighten up! We’re not mean, plus we know how to have a smashin’ good time, right Ni?”

“Hell yeah we do.” He agreed.

Terry threw his around my shoulder on one side and Niall did the same on the other, and they guided me out the door of the hotel.

“Where are we going?” I asked them as we walked along the sidewalk. The whole city was lite up, bright lights everywhere.

“We are going to Club V.” Terry said. “I read somewhere that it’s one of the best clubs out here in the Highlines, so tonight should be interesting.”

“I’d watch out though,” Niall said to me, “Terry’s a party animal.”

“Not entirely!” Terry defended himself. “I can’t help but have a good time.”

“Well I’m not much of a partier.” I told them. “I’ve never really been to a club”

“There’s a first time for everything.” Niall said, looking down at me. I smiled up at him. Was he hinting something? Or was I just being overdramatic? I’ll go with being overdramatic.

When we arrived at Club V the place was packed with people. We got inside with a breeze and everything was coming towards me one by one. Drinks, people, I think there were drugs too. I tried to get away from the crowd but I was always pulled back in by someone. The music was way too loud, I couldn’t even hear Terry next to me, who kept on serenading to me with whatever song was on. Niall seemed as though he was studying me, like he has never seen a girl who didn’t like to party. It may be in my Irish blood, but I wasn’t a big drinker either, so he probably found that odd. I had to get out of the crowd and fast since my head was spinning.

I finally made it outside through a back door. I was in a little alley way, which probably wasn’t the safest place to be late at night in the city. I stayed in the doorway with the door opened, trying to catch some fresh air when I felt hands around my waist.

“Ah!” I turned around, ready to kick whoever was touching me in the balls, but it was only Niall. I stepped out into the alley and looked at him. “Don’t do that.”

He laughed at me. “Sorry, I just wanted to see if you were okay or not.”

“I’m fine.” I said, kind of harshly. I saw his face drop to my cold response, then said, “Sorry, I’m just not much of a partier.”

“It’s alright.” He said. He leaned against the doorframe, his chest was heaving up and down from breathing so fast.

“You okay?” I asked.

Me?” He asked. I nodded. “Yeah I’m fine. I’m more worried about you.”

“Why would you be worried about me?” I asked.

“Because, you’re the one who’s trying to find your aunt by yourself. Do you even know where she is?”

“I have a few guesses.”

“And the Highlines was one of them?”

“I’m only staying here for a few days to track her down.”

“I could help you know.” He offered. He stepped out from the door and let it shut behind him. Now we were both in the alley alone.

“How?” I asked.

“I know people all over Ireland. One of them is bound to know who your aunt is.” He said to me.

“Thanks, but no thanks. I can take care of myself.” I started to walk away, getting annoyed with Niall but he grabbed me by the wrist. “Let go Niall.”

“Just let me help you.” He offered again.

“You can’t.” I told him.

“Why not Ryanne?” He asked.

“Because-.” I was then cut off by the sirens coming from police cars going through the city nearby. They were close, really close, and I promised not only Aine but also myself that if I heard sirens that I’d run straight back to the hotel room. That’s what I was going to do.

Niall saw the look of panic across my face. “Ryanne?” He asked. “What’s wrong?”

The sirens were coming closer, and the longer I stood here doing nothing the faster they’d be here. I had a keen feeling they were after me.

“Run.” I said to Niall, holding onto his hand and backing up slowly.

He followed my pace. “What?”

I could see the lights now. “Run!”