10 Outdated Wedding Traditions

10 Outdated Wedding Traditions That Need To End

Something old, something new.

50

Chances are, if you've been to a few weddings, you know the classic clichés, and you know the ones that drive you crazy: from the stressful bouquet toss to the exhaustingly long dinner. Though some of these traditions have been around for what seems like forever, we shouldn't feel trapped in them. Let's get rid of some outdated tropes and replace them with new traditions that are more modern, entertaining, and appropriate for our day and age.

Here are 10 of the most outdated wedding traditions:

1. Having a traditional dinner.

Say goodbye to chicken, beef, or fish and three-course dinners. Instead, opt for something like a buffet or a family-style meal (or even pizza), which can be less stressful and way more enjoyable for everyone.

2. Giving the bill to the bride's family.

Originally, the extreme financial burden of a wedding was placed mostly on the shoulders of the bride's family. In our modern age of equality and more independence, weddings are usually split equally between the two families, and some paid for by themselves.

3. The bride and groom not seeing each other before the ceremony.

This tradition originates during a time of arranged marriages, and now is held up as a superstition. In reality, many happy couples like seeing each other before to calm each other, take some photos, and take a moment before the aisle.

4. Throwing rice at the couple.

There can be more inventive ways of escorting the couple. Also, getting hit with rice hurts.

5. The bridal party and grooms party being single gender.

Many brides have close family members or best friends that are male and they want to include in their bridal party, and same goes for grooms. Both men and women should be included in both bridal parties. It's 2018, people.

6. The bouquet/garter toss.

A symbol of good luck that requires women in heels and men in suits to jump around and dive onto the floor to catch a piece of clothing. Many guests of weddings aren't too keen to participate in this tradition.

7. The "Bridal Chorus"

The same song is played at every wedding. Let's mix it up.

8. Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

A traditional good luck charm that turns into a lot of work. It can be hard for the bride find something something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue, along with everything else she needs to do to prepare for a wedding.

9. Smashing the cake on each other's faces.

Expensive gowns and hours of make-up and hair doesn't mix well with cake. It's a mess, and a waste of cake.

10. A traditional white dress and veil.

The long white dress and veil is a staple in weddings—or is it? Plenty of people are shaking it up with different styles and colors and ditching the white gowns. Traditional is always great, but a bride shouldn't feel confined to this one outfit for her big day.