9 Outdated Assumptions That Millennials Believe Shouldn't Still Be A Thing

It's 2018, has nothing changed?

151
https://unsplash.com/photos/w-WuF2NlQ2o
Kendyle Nelsen

I feel like children are sort of brainwashed when they're little. They're fed certain expectations or stereotypes that follow them as they grow up. Once you grow up, however, you start to learn that these assumptions aren't necessarily true or need to be followed. It can be confusing, and even quite frustrating—so why are they still so damn prevalent in our society?

1. You have to graduate high school and go straight to a four-year university. 

I remember being so young (think sixth grade) and already stressing about where I was going to go to college. For a while, I (along with others) didn't think there were other "successful" options. The reality is, going straight to a four-year university isn't an option for a lot of people. And that's not something to be ashamed of.

2. By the time your senior year of high school is up, you have to have your career path chosen. 

When you're little and innocent, it's nice to dream about what you want to be when you grow up. Except then you grow up and the fantasy ends. The pressure to have your career, and let's be honest, your whole life, mapped out as soon as you enter "adulthood" is ridiculous and unfair, especially when you have so much to learn. Lucky for me, I was a pro at ignoring the side-eye I'd received from guidance counselors and judgy parents.

3. Your parent's beliefs are automatically your beliefs. 

This is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. Whether it's religion, politics or morals, I cannot stand when people latch onto their parent's beliefs or the parents force their beliefs on their child. You have your own mind. Use it. Your parents may have guided you when you were little, but there comes a time when you need to explore other perspectives.

4. Being married and starting a family is the ultimate "life goal." 

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of someday having a husband and kids. However, it shouldn't be the this big "end all, be all" thing. All I'm saying is, you shouldn't settle down for the sake of settling down (or because some middle-aged woman told you that's what you need to do).

5. Going out and partying makes you a "bad kid."

I'm sure we all remember our parents warning us about the dangers of parties. I can faintly hear the snickers of parents in the bleachers at games talking shit about the "bad" group of kids as if they were some kind of satanic cult. Sorry to break it to you Karen, but your kid snuck out last night to go hang out with some of those "bad" kids. It's not fair to lump everyone together into one collective pile when there are plenty of kids who can balance their social and academic lives.

6. Smoking marijuana makes you a lowlife and a bum. 

This is becoming a pretty highly talked about topic. Whatever your stance is, does it really matter if it doesn't even affect you? If you don't like weed, cool. If you do, cool. Because at the end of the day, it's really none of your business.

7. Women are incompetent and need everything explained/done for them. 

Otherwise known as mansplaining. We know way more than you think, thank you very much. If anything, you could learn a thing or two from us.

8. Your gender determines everything you do. 

If 2018 has proven anything, it's that gender stereotypes are bullshit. Careers and fashion specifically are pushing the gender stereotype, and I don't think it's going to slow down anytime soon.

9. Your job determines your success. 

Sure, your job plays an important role in determining your success in terms of financial stability. But why is success solely defined by your financial status? What good is money if you don't have people around you to share in your success? I know people with "unconventional" jobs/careers who are much happier with their lives in comparison to others with "conventional" jobs/careers.

While I'm way past entertaining these ridiculous assumptions, I'm still frustrated by the fact that they're somehow still relevant in our society. 2019 is right around the corner, what does a girl have to do make these beliefs disappear?