Out Of My Comfort Zone And Into My Life

Out Of My Comfort Zone And Into My Life

This is vulnerability at its finest.

4
Kristina Mcmahan

I don't normally do things like this, but here I go...

I'm Kristina. A lot of people don't know much about me and I tend to keep it that way. I remember one of my friends telling me in high school that she knew more about a hobo under the bridge than me. That's when I really realized that I'm a private person, and to some extent, that's a good thing.

I'm 20 years old, and I'm currently going to the University of North Alabama to get my bachelor's degree in psychology. Medical school is in my future. More specifically, psychiatry, so I'm also pursuing a pre-health background at UNA. I'm pretty much a workaholic and I'm okay with that. I love working and learning. But all of those are things that you could have looked up about me. I'm pretty open about what I want out of life.

I have a servant's heart and even if I am more tired than I have ever been, I'll be in a better mood if I go help someone instead of taking a nap. I go to school full time. I work 20 hours a week. I workout at least 5 days a week (talk about how endorphins are the best thing ever). I swim on the best swim team ever (swimming is life). I volunteer weekly at animal shelters, my church and I pick up trash at parks around different cities. I love my church family, animals and the environment.

Here's my fur-baby, Chester. No matter what kind of day I'm having, he can brighten it up. I love this pup with everything that I have.

Penguins are my favorite animal (I call them pangens). They're so fluffy and cute when they're little, and they waddle everywhere (omg how can you not love them?)

Cheese dip is my favorite thing of all time. Ever. Take me to eat at a Mexican restaurant? I'll be your bff forever. My mom even enjoys rubbing cheese dip all over my face (yes, I licked it off and yes, I lick the bowl).

All of this stuff you can pretty much find on any of my social media accounts. These are the things I share because these are the things that make me happy and I need as much happiness in my life as I can get. I get told all of the time that I'm a happy person, and I really try to be, but honestly, that's my weakness. I'm not happy most of the time, but anytime I'm not or I'm struggling, I pray. A lot of people don't understand how hard it is sometimes to make myself be happy. That's why having a good circle of people around you is a good thing.

"Show me your 5 closest friends and I'll show you your future."

Gosh, how true is this? My friends keep me going so much of the time. From the crazy phone calls to the serious 'get your crap together' messages, I couldn't do like without them. This year, as I was serving the youth group (High Impact) at church, they asked the leaders to come up with their word for the year (it got the kids talking about what they would want their word to be). Call me crazy, but I heard happiness as my word. My first thought was... but I am happy? I don't understand. But let me tell you, I have never been more happy than I have been this year. The happiness that I "lost" was right in front of me the entire time. With God on my side, I cannot be unhappy because He wants me to be the happiest princess ever. Happiness comes from finding your happy place, and for me, that's in nature, that's in the Word (Bible), that's in my relationships with people, and most importantly that's in my Savior. I have found my happiness again. There is no more "I will be happy when...". It is "I am happy because...".

Just know, that when you see me smile now, it's real. I am happy.