No, Our Generation Has Not Ruined Dating

Millennials are nowhere near as shallow and technology-dependent as people would like to believe.

19

Contrary to popular belief, millennial dating has not crashed and burned into a pile of smoldering ash. In fact, it's thriving. Although some are blind to our generation's redeeming qualities, others are embracing the ways that our generation has changed the world of relationships.

Online dating has a reputation of being shallow and dangerous, which it certainly can be. However, there is an unwarranted amount of technophobia among dating critics. There are thousands of people who use online dating sites because they are unable to find a partner on their own. This may be due to sexual orientation, a disability or even just shyness. Online dating has allowed for many new experiences in people's lives. Millennials are able to meet a wider range of possible partners, which grants them the ability to explore what they want in a relationship.

Online dating is not the only type of technology that is considered to be "ruining dating" for our generation. Social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are all being touted as ways that millennials avoid getting to know one another more intimately. In reality, we all realize that social media presents our best self to others and is nowhere near an accurate portrait of a person. Looking at how a person interacts with others on social media is really just one of many ways that we get to know one another.

Social media has not, by any means, replaced face to face conversations. For example, the vast majority of people would leave if their date refused to get off of their phone. Face to face conversations are important, but critics act as if there is something diminishing about looking up someone on social media. Social media helps people learn a few quick things about someone so that a few conversation topics can already be thought of. Social media and technology keep people connected in more ways than critics say that it keeps us apart.

Millennial dating doesn't always involve the traditional definition of dating. Friends with benefits, one-night stands and non-monogamous relationships are all new standards of dating in today's world.

While it is possible and understandable to paint these in a negative light, there are also healthy reasons for why these types of relationships exist. For one, women are no longer expected to remain virgins. They can explore sexual freedom in ways that previous generations couldn't. Women are also choosing to build careers instead of families. These career women can find sexual freedom while leading busy and stressful day-to-day lives.

If you find yourself being disheartened by dating, it may just be because dating is difficult and messy. It always has been, and it always will be. There is no real reason to place all the blame on our generation. Millennials are nowhere near as shallow and technology-dependent as people would like to believe. If you take time to shut out the critics and see the dating world for yourself, you might just be pleasantly surprised.