10 Essential Apps, Bookmarks And Other iPad Tools Teachers Love

iPad goodies that you and your class will love, and mine can't live without.

62
Amy Clink

People are always asking what apps my kids and I love, but in reality, most of our "apps" are apps connected to more powerful websites or bookmarks. There are a few straight apps in there, but not many. So here, without further ado, our favorites for the 2016-2017 school year. Click on the images below to find them in iTunes or connect to the website!

1. Number Pieces Basic

This app is basically a full set of math manipulatives and a simple white board. Students can use the manipulatives to solve problems and develop number sense. This app really helped my kids understand grouping and ungrouping. If you circle ten ones it turns in into a ten. If you circle a ten it turns it into ones. My students also love to share their work in Air Server! This one is a freebie!

2. Book Creator

This little app is the best that I've found for creating digital books! It's easy and fun! My kids caught on in minutes. You can even make comics! My kids loved adding narration to their books, and I love all the ways you can share them! The first book is free, then you need to pay for the app to get more

3. ABC Magnetic Alphabet Lite

I use this one for all kinds of word work! I was able to get rid of all those pesky magnetic letters. It does everything those magnetic letters do, but without the mess. I use this for group instruction as well as small groups. I have the paid version but there is a free one too!

4. Todo Math

This easy to use app covers all kinds of math skills without needing an internet connection. This is my kid's favorite math app. We have better ones, but they require an internet connection. Plus it's free!

5. Seesaw

We spend so much time on this app! It's built as a digital portfolio, but it's so much more! We use this as a digital portfolio/social media platform/everything! Students can take pictures of their work and upload them. I can upload worksheets for them to do—no copies needed! Parents can view, like and comment, so their parents always know what we're up to! All that is free, but with the paid version you can even add grades to their work!

6. All things at Reading A-Z

We have the full suite from reading A-Z, the kid's favorites are Raz-kids, Headsprout, and Writing A-Z. I love this site because teachers can pay for it on their own. We also really love Lexia Core5. That needs a full school license, but I can pay for Headsprout which is very similar myself if I have to. I have a Raz-Plus account which covers all the printable resources I could want as well as giving my kiddos Raz-Kids access. In Raz- kids can read, listen to and take quizzes on books at their assigned level. Headsprout is a program that's similar to Lexia Core5 but my kids like it more. It covers all aspects of learning to read in a fun kid paced format. Raz-Kids and Headsprout can be accessed through the app, but you have to go through the website and bookmark it to access the writing. It has tons of fun ways for kids to work through he entire writing process.

7. Myon

My district pays for this one and we love it. It has hundreds of real books that are at your fingertips. I get most of my shared reading and guided reading books here. They are also great for content reading and my kids love using it for research projects.

8. Zern

This site is a math teacher's dream. It has all the skills, levels and math learning you could hope for and it's free! Kids can watch video lessons, play math games and practice skills all in one place!

9. Google Classroom

My kids do a lot of their final copies for writing here. I can make assignments share links, receive assignments and grade assignments all with this tool! There is no end to what can be done here, and it just keeps getting better!

10. Remind

Remind is one that's just for me! It lets me text parents without giving them my personal phone number. I send texts with reminders about events, homework, and links to sign ups for conferences and field trips. They can text me back. We all love being able to stay connected this way!

Try them out, have fun, and enjoy!