Our Criminal Justice System

Our Criminal Justice System

94

There are several different articles that I found regarding injustice found in our criminal justice system. The articles all agreed upon the fact that the criminal system is racist. Racism is when one group discriminates and thinks they are superior to other races or ethnic groups. It varies when it comes to people believing whether or not the system could actually be racist. Our society views the criminal justice system greatly towards the decisions made in court. I plan to not only show why that is that the criminal justice is racist but also how that is, with statistics and studies to support my thesis. Society avoids the fact that the criminal justice system discriminates when it comes to race, and how the justice system is set up a certain way to oppress those who are not white. The United State has thousands of cases each year that pertain to violence, drug crimes or murder cases. Even though people of all races and ethnicity commit crimes, it seems to only be those who are rich, white, or both, end up receiving a smaller punishment for what they actually deserve. The Death Penalty plays a role of how the Criminal Justice is racist. 82 perecent of studies show that the race of victims was found to influence the likelihood of being charged with capital murder or receiving the death penalty, and those who murdered whites were found more likely to be sentenced to death than those who murdered blacks (U.S. General Accounting Office, Death Penalty sentencing, February 1990). It is sad to see that in situations like Death Penalties, a certain race is more superior than others. If that is not racism, then I do not know what to call it. This is goes to show that at this time the Criminal Justice system cared more safety rather than what was right. There is this misconception about blacks that make them out to be violent and harmful to society. This is why there was segregation in schools in the first place.