10 Oscar Movie Nominees You're Probably Familiar With This Year

Everyone has probably seen or heard of these popular 2018 Oscar Nominees.

66
CNN Entertainment

It’s award season again and on March 4th our television screens will be graced by the Oscars award ceremony once more. Unless you’re a movie buff, or have a lot of time on your hands, most of the films nominated for the Oscars each year are films that you might not have seen. For the most part, big blockbuster movies don’t get a nomination. Sometimes it’s hard to appreciate the awards season when it doesn’t feel like your favorite films are getting the recognition they deserve. Here are 10 movies that you have probably seen that are actually Oscar Nominees in 2018:

1. "Dunkirk"

The war epic Dunkirk relates the events of the World War II British evacuation of troops from the beaches of Dunkirk. Told from 3 perspectives, land, air, and sea, the film is riveting portrayal of the heroic rescue mission. Dunkirk is nominated for eight Oscars: Original Score, Production Design, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Film Editing, Cinematography, Director, and Best Picture.

2. "Get Out"

Breakout horror-suspense film Get Ou tells the story of a couple's weekend meeting the parents. At first it seems like the family's strange behavior is a reaction to the interracial relationship, but the truth is much more disturbing. Get Out is nominated for four Oscars: Original Screenplay, Director, Lead Actor, and Best Picture.

3. "Logan"

In a not-so-distant-future, Wolverine must leave his life of seclusion and protect a new young mutant. The latest Wolverine film is nominated for Adapted Screenplay.

4. "Baby Driver"

The secret to spectacular getaway driver Baby's perfect heist record is his soundtrack. But when Baby meets the girl of his dreams and wants out of the game, getting out isn't nearly as easy. This fun, fast-paced picture is nominated for three Oscars: Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, and Film Editing.

5. "Star Wars: The Last Jedi"

Rey's arrival threatens Luke Skywalker's life of peaceful seclusion. Meanwhile, the First Order hunts down the Resistance and hopes to wipe them out once and for all. The latest installment in the Star Wars saga is nominated for four Oscars: Visual Effects, Original Score, Sound Mixing, and Sound Editing.

6. "Beauty and the Beast"

Disney remakes the "Tale as Old as Time" with all your favorite classic songs and few new delightful twists. This live-action Disney adaption of the animated classic is nominated for two Oscars in Costume Design and Production Design.

7. "The Greatest Showman"

In a fictional adaption of the life of PT Barnum, the original musical tells the story of the birth of the circus and modern American show business. It's a great film for the whole family! The delightful musical is nominated for its Original Song “This is Me."

Listen to the song here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjxugyZCfuw!

8. "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2"

After Rocket Raccoon steals batteries from a proud people they were supposed to protect, the Guardians of the Galaxy find themselves face-to-face with the answer to Peter Quill's mysterious parentage. This 2017 addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe is nominated for Visual Effects.

9. "Blade Runner 2049"

When Blade Runner Officer K uncovers a secret, he goes in search of the long-missing Blade Runner Rick Deckard. The much-anticipated sequel to the classic movie is nominated for five Oscars: Visual Effects, Production Design, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, and Cinematography

10. "Coco"

Even though the family has long-since banned music, Miguel dreams of becoming a musician. He soon finds himself in the Land of the Dead where he searches to uncover his family history. The newest Disney Pixar animation is nominated for two Oscars: Animated Feature and Original Song “Remember Me.”

Listen to the song here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7VPdpEV1m0!

If you haven't seen all of these films, get watching! Each one of them is spectacular and deserves the nomination(s) it has received!