How To Order Your Morning Coffee

How To Order Your Morning Coffee

Coffee is a lot more complicated than it seems.

12
How To Order Your Morning Coffee
Lia

We've all had to wake up at way too early in the morning and go somewhere we obviously don't want to be. I feel your pain. And lucky for you, me, and everybody else in this world, there's this amazing thing called caffeine! Caffeine is the only way many people can make it through a work day. In order to get the kick required to keep your head up at work, we look to coffee and espresso-based beverages sold at one of the many conveniently placed coffee shops in town. Coffee is a lot more complicated than it seems. Here are some tips to keep your coffee tasting just the way you like it.

1. Size!

The first and possibly most important detail of your coffee order is the size. Size is so important in fact, that it's first on the list. We don't want to charge you too much for your drink and you obviously want what you paid for. Remaking a drink because the size was wrong can be a hassle for both parties involved. It requires time that not everybody can afford to waste on their commute to work. Make it easy- say the size first!

2. Temperature.

To me, this one seems pretty simple. I order almost all of my drinks iced, but there are a lot of people that don't know that their favorite latte can be iced. If a person were to forget to say their drink is iced, the standard will always be hot. And no, the barista can not just pour your hot drink over ice and call it good. Both of the drinks are very different in design. A pretty good rule of thumb is to use the weather. If it's hot, get and iced drink. If it's cold, get your drink hot!

3. The Actual Drink.

Now you might be thinking, "Well no, obviously the most important part of my order would be the drink itself." And though yes, it is kind of a vital detail; it's also the one you are least likely to forget to say. You walk in with your mind completely set on that mocha. Or you look over the menu for a while before going, "What is a macchiatto anyways?" All espresso-based drinks are going to be similar in style with different flavors. If you want to try the new featured item or something you heard was really good from a friend, your barista will always be willing to help explain and chose the perfect drink for you.

4. Choose Your Milk.

I never really cared what kind of milk came in my drink. This one becomes more important for people who can't have dairy. Different coffee shops will provide different milk alternatives for you. Sometimes, a drink will just taste better with coconut milk. Maybe you just prefer non-fat milk to it's 2% alternative. Whatever it is, make sure you specify any changes.

5. Final Drink Altercations.

The final step in the ordering process is miscellaneous details. This category will change from drink to drink but covers all of the final changes. This would be the perfect time to specify if you didn't want whip cream on your Frappuccino. If you get extra caramel drizzle on your Caramel Macchiatto, now's the time to say it! If you prefer decaf or half-caf shots, please do not leave out that detail. There are so many things you can change or add to any given drink. This section leaves room for anyone who wants no water, no sweetener, light ice, extra pumps of vanilla, three extra shots of espresso, upside down, stirred, or extra hot.

Overall, no matter what your drink is, your barista will always be more than willing to help make sure it tastes just right. They can't help you if you don't tell them exactly what it is you want. We are caffeine experts! We can tell you what has the most caffeine, the least caffeine, and the least amount of sugar. Communication is the only way to ensure that your morning coffee tastes perfect every morning. Tomorrow morning you will have all the information you need to order a drink unique to you. Enjoy what could be the best cup of coffee you've ever had.