Optima Tax Relief Reminds Tax Professionals and Taxpayers to Use Digital Signatures on IRS Forms

Optima Tax Relief

24

With an increased use of telework, the IRS is allowing digital signatures on common paper forms that cannot be filed electronically through October 31, 2023. Optima Tax Relief provides a list of acceptable e-signature methods.

• A typed name on a signature block,
  • A digital image of a wet signature that is linked to an electronic record
  • A written signature submitted via electronic signature pad
  • A written signature, mark, or command input on a display screen with a stylus tool or
  • A signature generated by a third-party program

While the IRS does not specify a preferred form of e-signature submission, images of signatures in common file types (e.g., .tiff, .jpg, .jpeg, .pdf) will be accepted.

The IRS has added groundbreaking features to online accounts, including giving taxpayer’s control over who may represent them with a Power of Attorney (POA) or view their tax records via Tax Information Authorization (TIA), all by simply checking a box and sending the request. These requests are recorded and listed on the taxpayer’s list of approved authorizations in their Online Account.

Tax professionals can use the new Tax Pro Account on the IRS website to initiate POA and TIA requests for the taxpayer to authorize. While most requests are recorded immediately, some can take up to 48 hours to complete. Once finalized, tax professionals can view the taxpayer’s records in e-Services Transcript Delivery Service.

To improve online security, the IRS announced an improved identity verification process during the sign-in process for online services including:

• Online Account,
  • Child Tax Credit Portal,
  • Online Transcripts,
  • Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN), and
  • Online Payment Agreements.

These features will result in a faster and more secure tax preparation process and will allow the IRS to focus on authorization requests that require IRS personnel approval.