My Opinion on This Year's Grammy Nominations

I have too many emotions...just read.

67
Much.com

Like any pop culture fiend, I am obsessed with award season, and Grammy nominations have just been announced. This year was an amazing year for music. Rap and Hip Hop are more present in this year's nominations than they have ever been. But I feel as though some artists who were deserving in certain categories didn't get the recognition they deserved.

Not only is their only one female artist nominated for album of the year, but overall, it seems as though women are underrepresented. Lorde was nominated for her iconic album, Melodrama. Why wasn't Lady Gaga nominated for Joanne? What about Demi Lovato for Tell Me You Love Me? These albums were pivotal in these women's careers!

And listen, I am just as happy as everyone else at how the Grammys have finally embraced Hip Hop in more than one category but what the hell? Shape of You by Ed Sheeran was the song of the summer! I've never even heard The Story of O.J. once. Where is his nomination for Record or Song of the Year? I hadn't heard a single song from Jay-Z's new album until the nominations came out. Not all of us want to pay for Tidal or an album we're not sure we will like.

Ed Sheeran was also snubbed for album of the year even though he is nominated for Best Pop Album. Divide was Spotify's biggest album of the year having been streamed 1.3 billion times along with Shape of You being streamed 1.4 billion times. I think fan streaming is the best indication of how good an artist's work is in this new age of streaming.

Also, where the hell is Harry Styles? If you have not listened to his debut solo self-titled album, you really should. He is nowhere to be found on the Grammy Nominations list and truthfully I think it's just sad. Of course his wasn't the only brilliant album that didn't receive nominations this year.

Other albums that I think were slept on include, as I said before, Tell Me You Love me by Demi Lovato, More Life by Drake, After Laughter by Paramore, and Younger Now by Miley Cyrus.

Although I am a little pissed about some underrepresentation for artists that I am a fan of, I am quite excited about a lot of these categories. The race for Best New Artist is going to be the toughest we've seen in years. Alessia Cara, Khalid, Sza, Julia Michaels, and Lil Uzi Vert are all in the running.

Alessia Cara has been on a roll since her first single, Here, came out in 2015. Since then, she's collaborated with artists such as Troye Sivan, Zedd, and most recently, Khalid and Logic on their summer hit, 1-800-273-8255, which I am routing for for Best Song of the Year.

Khalid crushed the R&B category this year with his album, American Teen, that includes hits such as Location, Young Dumb and Broke, and 8Teen.

Julia Michaels is unique because she has written hits for artists such as Sia, but this is her first time being nominated for her own music. She is nominated for this category as well as Song of the Year for Issues.

I can't wait to see the results! Get your wine, popcorn, and twitter account ready for Sunday, January 28th!