A Letter To My Late Grandmother

A Letter To My Late Grandmother

I know you’re always there.

461
A Letter To My Late Grandmother

Dear Granny,

Another year has passed that we didn’t get to spend together, 4 years to be exact. Another year of precious memories becoming more distant and harder to remember. I miss you and I would give anything in this world to just have one more hug, one more conversation, and one more sleepover. If only I would have known that your last week on this Earth really was your last week I would have done everything differently, but that’s just how God wanted it to be. It simply was just your time to go home, the doctors still don’t know what caused you to get so sick, so fast. Yet, though that long, chaotic week I truly saw God shine through you.

Oh, there have been so many times in these past 4 years where I have thought “Man, I wish Granny was here” or “Granny would have loved this”. I wish you could have experienced your first ride in the car with me when I got my license. When I tore the cartilage in my knee junior year all I could hear was your voice saying, “Now, Anna what have you done this time?” I wish you could have been there on the side of Main Street during the homecoming parade of my senior year. I wish you could have been there to watch me graduate, to watch me get ready for prom, to help me move into my college dorm. There’s so many new people in my life that I wish you could meet.

But, I know you’re still with me. I can feel the comfort of your presence a lot, especially when I’m stressed out or just down about something. I know you’re always there. Driving down the highway, seeing your favorite flowers blossoming,I just smile. Or when the sun shines a certain way through the trees I just think, “there's Granny”. A lot of things remind me of you. It took me a while to go back to church, because that was always the one place I knew for sure I would see you. I can’t go to Taco Bell and not sit at our table that we sat at for years together. I can’t sing ‘Amazing Grace’ without shedding a tear. All these reminders that you’re gone, and every time I pull into your driveway I still expect to see you working in your garden, or sitting in your recliner.

Thank you for all that you have taught me. You taught me no matter how hard it is to keep going, you just have to put on your brave face and do it. You taught me to love the Lord, you were a living example of a Proverbs 31 woman. I only pray I turn out to be the woman, wife, mother, and grandmother that you were. You taught me to love spending time with family, because that’s really all you have at the end of the day. But most importantly you taught me to love everyone and everyday to the fullest.

I can’t even begin to describe just how blessed I was to have you as a grandmother. I’m forever thankful for the 15 years we spent together, I just wish we could have had 15 more. But that’s not how life works and I know you are much happier in Heaven. I miss you so much. There’s not a day that I don’t think about you. Thank you for everything.

See You Soon,

Your granddaughter