An Open Response to "Why Are Rodeos Bad"

Misinformation like the " Why Are Rodeos Bad" in this article are harming an incredible athletic experience, trying to market it as cruelty.

3856
Ruby's Inn

"Instruments of A Torturer," Really?

I'm not surprised that yet another person who is trying to be an activist about this is misinformed. I'm glad that you are caring about animal abuse, but rodeos have been attacked as cruelty, yet many animal lovers like myself tune into the PBR, go to county rodeos, and have an amazing time. This isn't because we are secretly ignoring abuse; it's because the abuse that is decried isn't really there. I focused mostly on the topic of bull-riding and bronc-riding, because I feel like it got the worst rap in the article and it is what I am most familiar with. The sad thing is these widely held beliefs simply aren't true, and it bothers me to hear all of these wrong things being said about something I love.

I was even asked in a scholarship pageant what I would say to someone who thought bull-riding was cruel.

My response: "I would tell them they were simply misinformed."

The article stated of bull and bronc riding:

"Besides the metal spurs of the cowboy boots the tool they happen to use are hotshots, an electric prod used on the animal while captive in the chute. The intense pain scares the animal into displaying abnormally dramatic reactions. And bucking straps, This particular tool is used to burn the animal’s abdomen and groin area and cause him to “buck” and can lead to back and leg injuries." - https://www.theodysseyonline.com/why-are-rodeos-bad

To begin, the use of prods is overblown. Nowadays, the bulls and broncs used in the bucking sports of bronc and bull-riding are trained animals. There are specific conditions when a prod can be used.

The PRCA, the major governing body over rodeo events dictates that " PRCA rules restricts the use of cattle prods to occasions when they are necessary to protect the safety of the animal or contestant, and limited to the power equivalent of two D batteries."

Wait, it's not around the bull's nether-regions? Nope. It's not tied so tightly that it squeezes the bull to agitate it? Nope. And finally, it doesn't have spiky points to poke or prick the bull? Nope.

PRCA rules state that, "The flank straps for horses are fleece- or neoprene-lined and those for bulls are made of soft cotton rope and may be lined with fleece or neoprene." (PRCA Livestock Rules).

Plus, “These are not animals who are forced to buck and perform in the arena,” said Dr. Eddie Taylor, the attending veterinarian for La Fiesta de los Vaqueros, a PRCA rodeo in Tucson, Ariz. “In fact, if a flank strap is drawn so tight as to be uncomfortable, the horses and bulls will likely cease to buck or not perform to the best of their ability. The best rodeo livestock are those with a natural inclination to buck for the purpose of unseating a rider."

According to Rodeo Tasmania, "It is an aid, just like any other equestrian aid (eg. the whip used by jockeys, spurs used by pony club riders) to enhance or encourage a particular desired outcome. In the case of the flank strap the desired outcome is to enhance the bucking action, to have the animal kick outwards and upwards."

The flank strap's sole purpose it to aid in positioning of the buck instead of kicking sideways to cause them kick upwards.

More information about bull flanks from Rodeo Tasmania include,

• It does not interfere with the bull’s genitals.
  • It does not injure the animal in any way (including rubbing, abrasions etc.)
  • Many bulls are especially bred to buck and they know when, and when not, to perform. Often they will cease bucking as soon as their rider leaves their back, even though the flank strap is still attached.

About, spurs, "Acceptable spurs must be dull," says the PRCA Handbook.

Third, not just any animals can be a bucking bull or horse. They are specifically trained (not "scared into behaving strangely") by stock contractors to buck. You cannot take any animal and expect this response. The PBR, the "NFL" of bull-riding and one of my favorite sports explains this by stating on their Animal Welfare Policy Page:

"Not every bull can compete in a PBR event. Saying any bull is suitable for PBR competition is like saying that any human athlete is fit enough to compete in the Olympic Games. PBR bulls are the highest-caliber bucking bulls in the business. Many are products of elite breeding programs that for years have been fine-tuning the important role that genetics play in producing a great bucking bull. A majority of PBR bulls are bred and born to compete in the PBR arena."

While other smaller rodeos and arenas are not the PBR, the process for raising bucking horses and bulls is the same. An animal isn't taken out of the field and expected to "buck." That would be like plucking any student out of a regular high school and expecting them to be an all-star tight end. What is understood through the rodeo world is that the animals are athletes same as ropers and riders. There are codes of ethics that must be complied with. For instance, the PRCA states that:

First, "PRCA rules require a veterinarian on-site during all sanctioned competition." (Pro Rodeo Livestock Booklet, PRCA)

Next, "Any PRCA member caught using unnecessary roughness or abusing an animal may be immediately disqualified from the rodeo and fined. This holds true whether it is in the competitive arena or elsewhere on the rodeo grounds." (PRCA Livestock Rules)

Finally, "All animals are inspected and evaluated for illness, weight, eyesight and injury prior to the rodeo, and no animals that are sore, lame, sick or injured are allowed to participate in the event."

When it comes to your injury comment, as is stated here, there aren't animals being forced to go out there and compete for "laughs." They aren't allowed to compete if hurt until they completely heal. In addition, I found the "for laughs" comment laughable. I have never seen anyone laugh at a rodeo except at a rodeo clown. It was never, "Ha ha, look at the person ride that cow." I guess you have had to go to one to know. It's more like, "That's amazing that animal can do that." People cheer for the bulls (I'm a huge Bushwhacker fan, and I cheered when he bucked people off), the horses racing around the barrels. It's amazing.

A cow can do this? I think that's awesome.

Just look at the amazing stock contractors out there like Bushwhacker's Julio Moreno and Mick E Mouse's Marlene Henry, whose attachment to their animals was second to none. These animals are the pride and joy of these contractors who train tirelessly to ensure their animals are fit and prepared the same are the cowboys and girls prepare.

If you are still skeptical of the notion that these stock contractors don't care about animal safety, which I would argue is definitely untrue, consider the situation from the monetary perspective.

As expressed by the PBR, "The value of the bulls to the stock contractors who own and breed them and to the PBR helps ensure that every effort and safeguard is in place to protect the bulls from any mistreatment or situation that would adversely affect their quality of life, ability to continue competing or their futures as breeding bulls. Many of the bulls currently bucking on PBR tours are valued at approximately the six-figures; the owner of PBR’s greatest bull, Bushwacker, was offered $1 million for his three-time World Champion bull."

In addition, abusing the animal may not produce the response an owner would want either. Instead, the usual, regimented training session would more likely produce the same, wanted response. To abuse, would likely create a reckless, almost uncontrollable animal, which isn't wanted either. You want an animal who will buck, but not mercilessly charge after the ride. You want it to exit calmly after the ride is over. They don't let bulls stay in the rodeo system if they are overly aggressive.

Onto the other things:

First, calfroping (while not something I personally like watching) does serve a necessity of ranchers and uses the techniques that ranchers and cowboys need to stop a calf for whatever reason, whether to medicate or brand. It began as a "contest" between ranch hands and began to be a showcased sport. While I can see that injury can occur to the animal, please know that there are measures put into place for improper technique and to avoid harm.

First, according to the PRCA 2016 handbook, "Tie-down roping cattle must be prepared by being roped and tied in a controlled environment from a horse three times at least 48 hours before scheduled competition, under the supervision of the Tie-down Roping Event Representative or his appointee. " This is to insure that the animal will not be at risk of exhibiting behavior that would cause it to hurt itself.

Next, "the industry itself polices events closely, penalizing competitors who "jerk down" a calf with the rope or flip it over backwards." A person used to be fined if they jerk-down on an animal and now, they will be disqualified. The rodeo community is actively seeking to work to protect their animals even more.

"PRCA rules also stipulate the calf must be strong and healthy, and PRCA judges inspect the animals to ensure that no sick or injured livestock is used." (PRCA Livestock Booklet, 2015)

Finally, the calves only go out only a few dozen times or so and must be within the weight bracket. This is to ensure that they are not too small to avoid injury or too big to avoid injury of roper and animal.

"Statistically, the rate of injury to the animals is relatively low. In 1994, a survey of 28 sanctioned rodeos was conducted by on-site independent veterinarians. Reviewing 33,991 animal runs, the injury rate was documented at .047%, or less than five-hundredths of one percent."

Steer roping

Statistically, it isn't common and is held only at 60 or so rodeos a year and isn't often broadcasted. It's causing an animal to trip to be tied down as would be a ranching technique.

Steer Wrestling

The risk of a steer getting hurt is so marginally less than the attempted wrestler. It is "less than five-hundredths of a percent." To be sure of safety, only some events are sanctioned. If you're going to have a cause, protest unsanctioned events or event sanctioned by groups with less harsh rules compared to the PRCA. It's unfair to target a whole sport for the error of some people who fail to follow the rules.

"Steer wrestling is an event involving a Corriente steer weighing at least 450 pounds and a man who most likely weighs less than half that amount. “It’s highly improbable that a man could injure a steer during the steer wrestling event,” said Dr. Doug Corey, a large animal veterinarian from Pendleton, Oregon. A cowboy who hopes to win at steer wrestling must employ finesse. Steer wrestling involves careful positioning and leverage to enable the animal to be placed on its side." (PRCA Livestock Booklet, 2015)

Wild Cow Milking

For one, I have never heard of Wild Milking nor have I ever seen it. But, all that really happens is during a time limit, a group of people secures a cow by holding its head, not often a "wild" cow but usually a beef cow, and milks it in a soda bottle. It tends to happen in the ranch rodeo scene.

Mutton Busting

It's a child riding a sheep while wearing a helmet. A sheep can't run "that" fast, so the injury you're talking about it a child falling off a sheep a foot. That's about the same as falling off a bike. It's to introduce kids to the world of rodeo.

One Last Thing:

You also didn't mention break-away roping, which is a fun event that the rope breaks away after the cow has been roped, which causes no injury at all. Also, barrel-racing was ignored too. It is where a rider races her horse around set objects to compete for the fastest time. Then there's team-roping, another popular event as well in the rodeo community. These are perhaps the most well-liked events that were completely left of the list, because there wasn't really much fault-finding there. I just wanted to put out there that none of the animals whose photos were used could be rodeo animals either.

I don't fault you in trying to be an activist, but me taking two/three hours out of my night to do proper research just debunked your short, curt article. It was bothersome to me, because lack of facts in the hopes to persuade hurts this industry. As someone who loves watching rodeo, I thought this was unfair to the people whose lives are dedicated to stock contractors, cowboys and cowgirls, and the fans by writing them off as abusers without the facts excepted brief, biased explanations of each event.

I don't usually like to do this kind of thing, but I felt like the other side needed to be presented. You're passionate, me too! Just about different things! I agree that we need to protect animal safety, but I think that you should be going after those who don't follow the rules not the whole sport.

I think Cindy Schonholtz, the director of the PRCA says it best, "Complete bans on rodeos are generally in places that 'don’t have rodeos and haven’t seen them and don’t understand them'”. She acknowledged that the industry has a challenge in reaching out to the general public, which is more and more urbanized and less and less familiar with steers, broncos and how to tie a lasso. “But that’s also the attraction of the sport – people don’t get to see bulls and horses every day, so people want to come see them,” she said.

I hope you'll come and see what rodeo is really all about, preserving Western culture and a way of life that is usually overlooked in an urbanized world.

Rodeo is exciting and fun, and not something you need to be boycotting. It is not an avenue of abuse at all, but rather a sport that animal athletes get to be showcased. If you've never watched, I would encourage heading to a local rodeo or watching the PRCA or PBR. It's a sport with humble, caring athletes doing what they love. I have never seen athletes more appreciative and thankful as the PBR cowboys.