An Open Letter To The Woman I'm Striving To Be

This is the beginning of anything you want.

512
Peyton Carrington

To the Woman I strive to be in 2018,

Your struggle with self-image is your biggest weakness. I know that you don’t like what you see when you look in the mirror and are often ashamed of who you are. I want you to know that there is hope; you have talents and abilities that are unique to you and only you, and it’s time to let them shine through.

Destroy the idea that loving yourself is conceited. Destroy your fear of being confident because you deserve to believe in yourself. You are allowed to fail as long as you try. There are opportunities in every mistake.

Accept your flaws and encourage yourself to improve. Developing self-love takes time, and it won’t happen overnight. You are a work-in-progress who is endlessly creating herself. Your mistakes don’t define you, set them free.

Most importantly, be unapologetically yourself. Don’t be ashamed of your interests or your body; if you want to change, go for it (that’s up to you). Be someone that makes you happy and have the courage to be completely yourself. You are in charge of your own happiness.

Know what aspects of your life to leave to fate. In regard to friendships, relationships, and people who come into your life let whatever happens, happen. If they are meant to be, they will be.

More importantly, know which aspects of your life to take charge of, of these being your goals, aspirations, work and work ethic. Take advantage of opportunities that come your way and don’t be afraid to make opportunities for yourself.

Be the woman who decided to go for it. You want a lot and will achieve it all if you step out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself, but don’t beat yourself up for mistakes made along the way.

Above all else, choose joy and keep choosing it. Joy is easy to come across when you have a thankful heart, so appreciate everything; every small act of kindness toward you is a gift. Always be a little kinder than you have to, and do all things with love.

Now is not the time to complain. Jealously can consume gratitude instantly, so focus on your blessings and not on what you lack. There is always someone who is worse off than you.

Lastly, make sure that you are living your life for yourself because you are the author of your own novel (more like series). Take challenges in stride and don’t take life too seriously. Live in the moment in all of your endeavors, and stay close to anything that makes you happy to be alive.

They say that people with good hearts have a glow, so delight people with your light and don’t let anyone dull your shine. Live a life you will be proud to look back on.

With these ideas in mind, remember to love unconditionally, give endless empathy and do more things that make you forget to check your phone.

Sincerely,

The Woman who is no longer holding you back.