An Open Letter To The Woman At McDonald's Who Wanted 3 Chocolate Chip Cookies

How many times can I possibly say 3 chocolate chip cookies?

5298
SoGoodBlog

Disclaimer: No, I'm not overreacting over some chocolate chip cookies; she was just extremely rude and unpleasant IRL. >.< And so my tale goes....

Dear you,

You wanted three chocolate chip cookies, I get it. Not one, not two, but three. I heard you, believe me.

Let's start from the beginning.

I walked into McDonald’s, ten dollar bill in hand, with the intent of only perusing the dollar menu, because that's what broke college students do, no? However, after seeing chicken McNuggets on the menu, I knew I had to splurge. Treat myself! I casually walked up to go order, only to be told that they didn't sell the nuggets until breakfast was over. I stood there in front of the employee contemplating if I had time to wait 30 minutes. This was an easy decision, especially when it involved me either eating chicken nuggets or not. I decided to wait.

I found an available seat and sat down, placing my phone on the table with my $10 underneath. A whole massive two seconds later, a woman strolled over nonchalantly and sat at the table directly facing me. We, of course, had the obligatory 3 seconds of awkward eye contact. Finally able to pull my eyes away, I wondered why of all the empty seats she had to sit right there. I quickly found out her ever so “sneaky” ways; what a sly fox.

She opened up telling me she didn't have enough for three chocolate chip cookies and she always had to have them. Usually, I will do my equal share and contribute to conversations. However, I wasn't feeling it that day which elicited my short response of “oh, sorry”. I prayed she would get the hint that I just wanted to sit in some peaceful quiet. She did not.

“I wish I had enough to buy three chocolate chip cookies.”

“Yeah, me too.”

“If only someone had some extra money on them.”

“Yeah, if only.”

*long, exaggerated sigh* “If only someone were so kind as to lend me some money.”

Okay, so at this point, she clearly wasn't going to take no for an answer. But I would not let her win this game, I had to be quick on my toes.

“I'm sorry, I don't have any cash on me or I would've gotten you the cookies.”

“It's okay. Do you have a card?”.

“....”

I was not quick on my feet at all.

“I do, but I have to wait 30 minutes until I can buy food. I don't want to swipe my card twice. You probably have places to go.”

“No, I'm in no rush. I'll wait. So that's three chocolate chip cookies.”

Ummmm… I guess?

“Okay, I can get them for you.”

At least I'll be able to sit in some silence now. If it cost me three chocolate chip cookies, I'll pay that price.

Fast forward two whole nanoseconds, and the silence is over. I’m thrown into a heated conversation about school which was the last thing I wanted to talk about or even think about. Within that 30 minute wait, I memorized her schedule and also know what homework she had and when they were all due; that is how many times she repeated herself.

And don't forget, as she enchanted me all about herself, every few minutes she would interrupt herself and say, “30 minutes almost over. Don't forget my three chocolate chip cookies. It's three. Chocolate chip”. Just when I thought I had forgotten her three chocolate chip cookies; she must have read my mind. A sly fox and a mind reader, excellent!

“They're changing the breakfast menus. Better get in line first and get my three chocolate chip cookies”.

"..."

I get up and grab my phone, forgetting that my money was under it. I'm walking to the line and she shouts at me that I forgot my money. Smooth one... *grabs money in shame*. I thank her and walk up to order. The thought crosses my mind briefly to not order the cookies, but I cave.

My order comes out and I walk over to her and hand her the bag of cookies. “Is there three chocolate chip cookies in there?”. I tell her I don't know and that she can check. She does and there is absolute silence. I realize that I'm standing there waiting for a simple thanks or some sign of gratitude. Although I wasn't in the mood to talk much, I still made good conversation and was kind to her, regardless of the rude undertones in her voice.

I stood there for what felt like a lifetime. I felt someone had to say thank you, so I did. I said thank you to her and left with my chicken McNuggets. I said thank you. I. Me. Myself. Thank you!

I have no idea what possessed me to say thank you to her. She didn't buy me three chocolate chip cookies, I bought her three chocolate chip cookies. And that is my awkward life; saying “you too” to movie theater employees who tell me to “enjoy your movie”.

A couple days ago, I was walking past McDonald’s and there she was, walking towards me. Would she remember me, because I would never forget her. I put my head down and walked away quickly. I have seen her another time since.

So thank you rude woman at McDonald’s, I will never think of chocolate chip cookies in the same light again. I now have nightmares about chocolate chip cookies, and there always seems to be three.