An Open Letter To My Younger Self

An Open Letter To My Younger Self

Don't be afraid of what the future holds.

135
An Open Letter To My Younger Self
Jessica Tran

Hey, what's up kiddo,

Wait, whoever says that? Well, moving on, this is an older version of you, sitting down, typing up this letter for an article. I have decided to write this letter because it's going to sound bad but I cannot think of anything to write about. Anyway, you probably would have never thought your future self would be writing articles. Honestly, it's now a part of life that I genuinely enjoy. So, I'm currently at college (yes, high school graduation finally came) at NC State and I have fallen in love with it. It's one of the best decisions I have ever made. Nevertheless, I feel like my life has been an unexpected rollercoaster that seems to never stop for just a second. There are so many moments that I wish I could change all the time but there are much more moments that overshadows those regrets. So I have some things to keep as a reminder for you:

First off, family is everything. Go watch a movie with Jennifer, go shopping with mom, or even help dad cook dinner. Do anything but as long as you're with family. I know you are growing up into your teen years and you are going to have your moments. However, as I said, you are growing up and eventually you're going to drift apart from our family because of age. Our family has your back no matter what and you have theirs. It's going to get smaller soon so don't forget to say I love you. Oh, also one more thing, take a lot of pictures. I understand it's a pain to take pictures but I promise, you will not regret it because you'll be able to look back and reminisce about those special moments.

Second, don't afraid to take risks. I know it's so difficult to get out there and do something completely different. Though, honestly taking risk is going to help you go through life without being worried so much. I don't mean jump from an airplane without a parachute or don't study for a test, I mean don't miss any opportunities that could have a huge impact on your life. You'll know what I'm talking about eventually.

Third, take care of yourself. I don't want you to just take care of yourself physically because you know, the Freshman 15 but I also want you to take care of yourself mentally. High school had many ups and downs so I kind of want you to be prepared for that. Though I will say it's going to be difficult at times to go do something for just yourself but you always put everyone else first. Even, trying to accept help if you need it. It may seem selfish or like a step back but it's not, I promise. Also, another thought, if you don't take care of yourself and get sick, you can't help anyone.

Lastly, come to terms with yourself. Everything that makes up you, that makes you completely different, is what makes you unique. You are not a size 0, you are not going to be 5'5 and your acne scars will be there. These flaws are what makes you human. Besides fighting with yourself, there are going to be times where those outside forces are going to make you doubt yourself. You're going to just want to give up, curl up in a ball and never go on with life. However, that pain is temporary and you will eventually be content with yourself and life.

Keep pushing on!

Love,

Eighteen-year-old Jess