Something In The Way They Play

Something In The Way They Play

Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!

12
Something In The Way They Play
365thingsaustin

Dear John, Paul, George and Ringo,

I can’t believe it has been four years since I first saw Big Time Movie and my whole world changed. I heard those covers and said, “huh. I need to check out the originals.” So I did. And with that, I discovered you four: the mop-top lads, the fab four…The Beatles! When I first listened to you seriously, the first thing I noticed was the vocal style. It was in perfect harmony. I couldn’t believe how well crafted the music was. It didn’t sound as old as it had when I was younger and first introduced.

The next thing I was pleased about upon seriously becoming a fan was how adorable you all were. At the time I started to collect records and buy music on my iPod, I was a teen girl with all kinds of crazy raging hormones, so it helped me get into the music knowing that you all were young and cute at one time. When I watched A Hard Day’s Night I realized that I wasn’t watching older stiff musicians, instead, you all were in your twenties enjoying the fame given to you by chance. You all began your band before you were even out of your teen ages.

You were young and had already accomplished amazing things. The stiff older folks I pictured you as were gone. In their place were four strapping young men who were full of youth and life simply making music.

You led me to a lot of my other favorite 60s bands such as The Monkees, Herman’s Hermits, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, and The Who. I started with you but soon my eyes were opened to all these other artists in the same time and genre. They too were young men (typically) at the time of their fame making music for the love of the craft. One can tell when listening to their songs how much fun they had doing the music videos and putting on the concerts. And they all have credited you as their influences.

The 1960s is now one of my favorite time periods because of you. I even became involved in a musical I don’t think I would have had it not been the 1960s, because of the off chance we’d reference you or sing your songs. Your music is the center of my life and it has helped me break the ice, make friends and become closer with many family members. Teachers have “favorited” me because I love your music. It has assisted me in bonding with many adults. I have done projects, written papers and creative writing assignments using you as characters.

I was excited to understand all these random references once I became a part of your fanbase. I also obtained a slew of new movies starring you all and movies based on your songs. They are some of my favorites to this day. I loved all your actual movies, especially A Hard Day’s Night. Your youth is what impressed me most. You all just look so happy because you are doing a movie with three of your best friends.

Your comradery even right up to the end fascinated me. You were so close. Even though it was clear who definitely was far closer than others, all four of you shared a strong bond throughout the band’s existence and beyond it. That relationship is what held you all together even as you were breaking up. You all did still love each other underneath the animosity.

I wish I could have met John and George but you both are still here in spirit. Ringo and Paul, I wish you a long life and know that I deeply enjoyed going to Paul’s concert. I laughed, cried and danced that night. It was the highlight of the summer. I will never forget the initial reactions I made getting into the music for the first time 4 years ago. Now that listening to the music is old hat, I can appreciate the craftsmanship far more. Thank you for giving me opportunities to your songs and movies that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I will be forever grateful for the memories made with you. I love you.

Love,

Your Die Hard Fan