To Every High School And College Senior Who Had Their Final Year Ripped Away From Them

I know it's hard, but I hope this helps.

1799
Photo by: Kirsten Beach

I know I am merely a junior in college, so this pandemic has not affected me in the same ways it has affected you...

But I want you to know that I understand.

I understand how devastating it may be to hear that you won't be spending your last month of school surrounding by your very best friends — the friends who have had your back since you began your journey in school. I understand that changing your whole routine to work around the utter chaos this virus has caused is something that isn't taken lightly, and I understand that this milestone you have reached seems to be of lesser importance to everyone now that the coronavirus has taken over our world.

But, I want you to know that I'm rooting for you. I know it's hard, but push yourself to get out of bed and finish strong.

This milestone is something you have probably worked so hard to get to—something you should be so proud of yourself for. You are about to embark on a new journey very soon whether that be entering adulthood as a freshman in college or entering the workforce as a college graduate, so look towards these new memories that will be made.

Allow yourself some time to be sad, anxious, pissed as hell, or any other emotion the coronavirus has evoked in you because I know this has ruined your idea of what your senior year was supposed to look like— but don't let it take over your productivity.

Don't let this virus take over the plans you had for the future and discourage you from taking a step towards doing something you truly love/enjoy. Don't let it discourage you from getting out of bed and getting fresh air, and please don't let it get in the way of your happiness.

Although your life may look different in this season, use this social distance as a way to visualize the person you want to become when this is over and seek ways that you can cultivate that person now.

I want you to know that I love you, I am here for you, and I understand what you are going through.
We are all in this together, and although me saying that won't change the fact that your last day running the halls in high-school uniforms, or your final steps across that stage during commencement have been taken from you, know that we appreciate you and commend you for all the hard work it may have taken to reach this milestone.

There will come a day where this is all over, and when it is, I want you to be able to look back and say, "I made something good out of this mess, and for that, I am proud."

Because we are proud of you too.