Open Letter to Public Transit

Open Letter to Public Transit

To my ride or die.

11
Open Letter to Public Transit
Metro

Dear public transit,

First of all, I want to say thank you. I want to you give you a shout for giving me a lift. Shout to CSULB for that free Long Beach Transit pass too. I took advantage of that and explored the ins and outs of Long Beach. I’d get out of class and I knew you would be there.

I am still working on getting my own car therefore I still use you. I don’t understand why you have to charge $1.75, Long Beach charges only $1.25 and that’s when I do not have my TAP card with me. Sometimes a girl doesn’t have change you know? Then you don’t give change back so you swallow my two dollars and tell me to take a seat.

Although you have been there for me when I have needed you, there have been times where you left me. One time my friend and I were walking to you, we were already at the stop, but you stopped further on. As we hurried to you, you CLEARLY saw us but still left. Other time I was at the Norwalk station, usually once you arrive you take a twenty-minute break and make us wait. One time you stopped and just left. Didn’t even open your doors. Why did you have to do me dirty like that?

Furthermore, your little funky design seats are cute but some of the people that get on you are a little out of this world. Some terrify me, some annoy me and others are kind of cute. I usually sit on the edge of the seat near the aisle, if its crowded I will still remain on that seat, now.

This one time I was riding you in downtown Los Angeles and it was getting crowded after each stop. In one of them a guy asked if he could sit next to me so I scooted over (which put me on the window seat). All the way home he looked over his shoulder and it felt like he was trying to talk to me. It was around four in the afternoon on a hot day, traffic hour and with a crowded bus. I could care less about conversation at this point. Whatever I ignored the thought.

However, I noticed that the bus would empty out and get crowded again but he would not switch seats. There would clearly be open seats nearby but he stayed right next to me. Then a little while later he started small talk about the weather and then tried asking me questions about myself.

Of course I lied, this dude was maybe in his early thirties talking about how his hobbies are drinking and going to the club. When is my stop?! So I improvised after every question. What was my name? Oh it’s Sofia. Do you go to school? No it’s not for me. Do you work? Yes I work in this fashion store in downtown LA. I live in my own apartment, so what’s up? Nothing this is my stop byyyeeee.

I have not had a lot of encounters like these but I learned to stay on the edge seat, if someone asked to sit I gave them room to take the window seat. I also bought pepper spray, just in case.

I am thankful for those older ladies who are concerned about me and tell me to be careful and have a blessed day.

You know you taught me how to more attentive. Especially coming home in the afternoon. I let my guard down when I am in Long Beach but once I hit Lakewood, Downey, Compton and LA it goes back up. There has been times where you have last minute technical issues, brake down and leave me on my own to find another you. Of course it’d make me nervous, I did not want to be late for my meetings/events. But I improvised. I learned to carry cash, a whole bunch of change, hand sanitizer too.

But most importantly, you taught me the importance of living through and overcoming “the struggle.”

I know I am not the only one without a car, because of you I have met other people who unfortunately are in a worst state. You made me be thankful to my family, for their support and for you. I am beyond thankful to you. There is no way I would be able to go to Pasadena or Universal City without you at the moment. Because of you, I did not have to sit on my hands and wait for a miracle to come to me after graduating. Because of you I have put myself out there and have taken advantage of great opportunities for my career.

Your stop may smell funky sometimes, the people can sometimes be rude and loud but you take me from point A to point B and that’s all that matters. Thank you!

Sincerely,

A passenger