An Open Letter To My Little

An Open Letter To My Little

She might not know this, but she is the little of my life.

5879
An Open Letter To My Little
Tumblr

When I started university, I never thought I would grow to become the woman I am today. Four years can do a lot to a person. Change them for the good or for the worse. Luckily, my sorority has changed me for the better.

I had a lot of ups and downs in this organization; no one said life would be easy, but it was all worth it. Society looks down upon sororities because they think we are all crazy women who are only looking for the "Mrs." degree. But trust me, that statement is not true. Being in a sorority made me grow more confident as a woman. This organization made me realize that I am more than a female, but a strong person who can conquer anything.

Without going through formal recruitment, I would have not met my Little sister. And that is a scary thought to handle.

A lot of people don’t know that we have a tradition placed within sororities that you are paired up with a younger sister to help guide them through the process and teach them the rules, standards, history and traditions of the sorority. The pairing process is referred to as Big and Little sisters, and sorority women take Big and Little very seriously.

Your little sister is more than your go-to buddy. It is someone that you look out for, worry and care about. You are obsessed with your Little even before you meet her. When planning for your Little, you buy all the cute sorority stuff, craft for her, imagine all the cool places and stuff you are going to do together. You and your Little share a bond that is unbreakable and indescribable.

I got my Little this past Fall, and she is the Little of my dreams. Honestly, without her, I would have fallen apart. She doesn’t realize it, but I worry so much about her and I want to shower her with love and cookies all the time! My little has been there with me in the worst of times and has shown me in many ways how to keep my head above water and not give up.

Dear Little,

This is hard to write, but I want to thank you for always being there for me without you knowing it. Our relationship is different because we have the same moral compass but we both have such diverse tastes in the small things. You are an incredible person that never ceases to amaze me. Little, you are such a hard worker, a dedicated sister, and a person with a golden heart. I thank my three lucky stars that you were placed in my life during the time that I needed you the most. You show me how to be a better person, even though I wish I was the mature one in the relationship (my love for weird animals doesn’t help). But I would like to think that you accept me for who I am. Even though you don’t realize it, you are strong. You have so much potential to grow and not let anyone stop you. I bet you have heard it a million times, but the sky is the limit. No, you put that limit on yourself and go far above the sky. I know I am a weird character, but I am honestly happy you and I are Big and Little. You challenge me more every day and keep me on my toes. Honestly, I get nervous around you and wonder if you judge my weird jokes and lack of memory. But you have helped me grow into a better sister and a better Big. My wish for you is that this life becomes all that you want it to be. I know my time here as a collegiate is coming to a close, but that doesn’t mean I won’t be here for you. Hold on tight, darling, because from here on out, we are going to have a good time.

Always here,

Your Big