An Open Letter To The Person Who Said I Was "Sick"

I Am Not "Sick."

13
Hema Bhatt's Growing Kids

You are not the first person to call me "sick" or use any derogatory term to describe me. However, allow me to clarify this for you.

I am not sick. In fact, I am very well. Healthy and vibrant. You saw that I struggle with walking, but I am surely not sick, nor is there anything wrong with me.

I have a disability called Cerebral Palsy. It makes my muscles tighter than it should be, and affects the way I walk as well as my motor skills. But I am much more than just Cerebral Palsy, or the stereotype you placed on me.

I am a very kind and passionate person. I consider my feelings, as well as those around me. I would expect you to have known that already, since we have been acquainted with each other before.

I always have a smile on my face, and manage to laugh unnecessarily, even though it may be considered annoying to some. (At least, I make myself happy).

I am persistent when it comes to achieving my goals and dreams, so if you think being "sick" or having a disability may be a barrier, you are absolutely incorrect.

I have a family who loves and supports me, so I know, I am not alone, and I will get through. I will live my life.

Having a disability does not make me any less of a human being, neither does being abled make you any better. At the end of the day, we are all the same human beings who breathe the same air.

Maybe you think I am sick, that is perfectly fine. I will not tell you how you should think. However, this stereotype does not define me.

It defines you as the person who has placed it on me. It shows who is really disabled, as you have shown a huge amount of ignorance, unfortunately blinded by what you think are my incapabilities.

You blatantly used this word without a second thought. Maybe you did not know the appropriate thing to say, I can understand that. What I want you to know is, that my disability is not considered a life sentence. It is not a stamp or seal on paper. It does not define me either. It is just a part of me, not all of me. I am so much more than my diagnosis.

You would probably expect me to be angry with you, but I am not. There is no reason to because I know who I am and what I am not. So thank you for reminding me of who I am not, so I can continue to realize who I am.

Thank you.