Thank You To The Stranger Who Became My Best Friend

To all those awkward moments of learning to love each other

2515
Tyler Sanders

We were strangers and thrown into an environment and forced to get to know each other. We were in a close area of each other that exchanging of words was required. It was the occasional "Hey" and "How are you?" Our relationship was nothing but awkwardness. Soon we branched out from the awkward conversations to having more intimate conversations, to going out places together. We were talking non-stop: late night sleepover talks, and revealing deep secrets. We were strangers for merely a few months and skipped over the awkwardness of friendship dating. We became best friends and it went nothing but up from there. We knew quite soon that we were to be in each other's weddings or to be there for each other for the rest of our lives.

Friendships are such weird concepts. We see a stranger and decide "I like this person. I am going to claim them and go on adventures with them." We knew it pretty quickly that this whole getting to play 20 questions and learn about the other and having the occasional awkward lunch dates wasn't our thing. We knew that we didn't need all that to get to where we are now.

Our friendship is such a rare and unique kind that it makes unicorns look like horses. One of us (or both) knew we made the best decision ever choosing the other. We look back at the awkwardness of us transitioning from strangers to best friends and all we can do is laugh. "Remember when I made you do this and you were so uncomfortable/shy/awkward?" We always love to reminisce on these memories because it's such a big part of our lives. You shaped me into who I am today. I wouldn't have rushed Greek life, I wouldn't have joined that club, I wouldn't have branched out if it wasn't for those uncomfortable first few days of knowing you. Having you in my life is more than the joy of having a best friend. It's been having a lifetime friendship partner to shape me into who I am now.

If you told us we could go back in time and change our past, we would say "no" because there is nothing you could offer us to make us change meeting each other. You could give us the ultimatum of our friendship or something else. We will still choose that other person no matter what. That friendship is the key to who we are now.

This letter is our thank you letter to opening up to me. A thank you for being weird with me and understanding me on a deeper level. Appreciation for listening to all of my drama and sleepover talks late at night when we both know you have to get up early. Thank you for every decision-making moment and you being there for it all. I'm glad you were there with such serious events that could change my life and you led me through it all. Thank you for who you are.

Thank you for being that stranger to pick me for adventures. Thank you for being that person who is my lifetime best friend. Here is to us growing old together and creating even more awkward moments! I love you.