An Open Letter to Those Who Stick Gum Under The Desk

Why must you do this?

1680

To anyone who sticks gum under the desk:

Why?

Seriously. W H Y?

How hard is it to hold a piece of gum in your mouth until you see a trash can? And even if that's not viable, why don't you put it in the wrapper it came in? a old receipt? an empty water bottle of yours? Anything that isn't the bottom of public property?

If it's to avoid getting in trouble for chewing gum in class, you should know that 95% of teachers don't care anymore. The main exception are the days when you're doing a lab in a science class-in which case you shouldn't come in chewing gum to begin with, just like you shouldn't come in with open toed shoes or loose hair. But most of the teachers I know don't really give a crap that you're chewing gum, as long as you don't pop it excessively loud or-you guessed it!-stick gum under the desk.

If it's to save the trouble of walking five steps to a trash can, that's the pinnacle of laziness. If it's that much trouble, why don't you (as I mentioned earlier) put it in a piece of paper that you have with you, or in a water bottle. Or why don't you swallow it? I'd rather swallow my gum than stick it to a desk that's public property. It's less disgusting, plus you don't die or anything. I've swallowed my gum on accident or during a jump scare in a movie and I'm still alive, aren't I? Meanwhile, that gum stuck under the desk will be there for years, making victims out of millions of unsuspecting fingers. Think about that.

And if it's because you're just doing it to be annoying, congratulations! You're among the lowest of society, right in between drug dealers and bank robbers. Why on earth would you do something as disgusting as stick your used gum under a desk that isn't yours?!? There are much more effective ways to be obnoxious (though I won't go into that), but the main point is to not to leave a big, gross wad of gum under the desk just for the fake of being a vandal.

The moral of the story is don't freaking do it.

Thanks for reading,

Tiara