An Open Letter To The Woman Who Raised Me

Thank you for everything you do.
122

At just 20 years old I can say I am not ready to be an adult. I love being in college with my friends and doing whatever I want whenever I want. I have my responsibilities and duties but nothing compares to where my mom was at when she was 20. At just 20 years old, my mom gave birth to me and her entire world was changed.

Everyday since I turned 20 I thought about how my mom was this young when she first had a child. There is no way in my life right now that I would be able to care or support another human. In this past year I have grown so much from who I was when I was 19 and I know I have a lot more growing to do.

My mom gave up her dream to raise me. She put her life on hold to bring me into this life and be the best mom she could possibly be. This is why my mom is one of the strongest people I know. I praise her everyday for doing what she did. So many mothers are so young when they have their first child but I don’t really think we comprehend how difficult that is. I can’t imagine having a child now, or even in the near future. I have so much of my life to still live before I can think about bringing another human into this world.

So thank you, mom. Thank you for sacrificing your young life to make sure I was brought up well. Thank you for not giving up on me when you found out you were carrying me. Thank you for working to make sure you could support me and help me with anything I needed. Thank you for finally realizing your worth when I was 7 years old and being strong enough to leave and be with the person you actually love. Thank you for supporting me in every decision and dream I’ve had for my entire life. Thank you for being my best friend who I can tell absolutely everything to without judgment. Thank you for loving me unconditionally.

Think about the people you have in your life. Be appreciative from where they came from and how they are present in your life today. Always be thankful for the people that support you and are there for you no matter what. Hug the people close to you and overly tell them you love them because one day they won’t be there anymore.