An Open Letter To President Lou Anna K. Simon

President Simon, time's up.

353
Ytimg

Dear President Lou Anna K. Simon,

For years now, your students at Michigan State University have been showing their disapproval because of the way you choose to lead the university as a whole. Regardless of their reasonings prior the events that have unfolded over the past few months, there is one thing that we can all pretty much agree on: you have got to go.

For the sake of the school's reputation, the students, and the victims who need healing, time's up.

When the Larry Nassar case first came into the public eye in 2016, there was no reason for you, or the university, to necessarily be to blame. Everyone assumed that no one affiliated with Michigan State knew of any of the instances of sexual abuse occurring on campus.

Because, if someone had known, they would have said something, right? Wrong.

You used the fact that no one was accusing MSU of any foul play to your advantage. You used this to continue to hide the dark, ugly truth—you, too, were guilty.

But, President Simon, karma came and got you, as it inevitably was going to, and your dirty secret was aired to the entire world. And now we all know. We all know now that there were at least 14 employees at MSU who knew about the instances of sexual abuse occurring under your nose. Even worse, at least one of these reports made it to you, and you chose to do nothing. You did not fire Nassar. You did not offer support to the victims. Instead, you chose to try and protect the university's reputation and kept your mouth shut as Nassar became the doctor for the USA Olympic gymnastics team.

Had you spoken up about what you knew, you could have stopped him. You could have saved so many little girls who were forced to suffer under his care. You could have prevented the university from going through the scrutiny that we are dealing with now. And more importantly, you could have earned the trust from your students.

Instead, you have divided Michigan State. As students, we don't know whether to speak out against you, or act like the situation isn't happening with the hope that maybe our school will catch a break and stop being the hot topic of news reports nationwide. We don't want you as our president. We know that you don't represent us, but we feel as though we have no other options other than to continue as normal. We feel voiceless and hopeless.

On a personal level, I don't feel safe being a female student at MSU. In my past, I have been sexually harassed and/or sexually assaulted at every school I have attended, starting as early as elementary school, and I had hopes that with coming to Michigan State, that would end. However, you have created an unsafe environment for us. A place where, even though I'm not physically being assaulted, I still feel on edge at all times, knowing that the person who is supposed to oversee and represent my university is involved in scandals and is enabling a sexual abuser. School is supposed to be a place where I can feel safe and have resources and people to turn to if I don't; you've taken that away from me. And the worst part of it all? You don't seem to show any signs of genuine remorse for anything that you've done.

Lou Anna, you have had many, many chances to make this situation right and time after time, year after year, you have continued to let us, the students of Michigan State University, and the victims of Larry Nassar's abuse, down.

We don't support you, we will never support you, and you do not represent our university.

Time is up, President Simon.

We need change.

We need you to resign.