An Open Letter To The Person I Thought I'd Be Friends With Forever

I miss you

16
WoW Amazing

My entire life I've moved around, gone to different schools, and in general haven't been able to keep friends for more than a couple years at a time. I've never been one of those people that had those friends since we were in diapers or kindergarten together, but I always hoped you'd be the exception.

I remember meeting you in 6th grade when we were 11 years old.

I remember sharing goldfish with you on our snack breaks in middle school.

I remember the crushes you had and I remember telling you mine.

I remember singing Disney songs with you during lunches.

I remember knowing you were my best friend even if you had other best friends of your own. You had a lot of other better friends than me. You had friends from when you were younger, friends from your church, but you were my best friend.

I remember feeling jealous of your friends but also I understood because you were such a nice person and I was an outcast.

You cared about me and took pity on me and seemed to genuinely care.

I remember thinking you were the nicest, most down-to-earth, genuine person ever and wishing more people could be like you.

I remember going to your house for Christmas parties and I remember baking for you because I could never afford presents.

I remember knowing no one at your parties but you and thinking how everyone else were all friends with each other, but not me.

I remember hoping you could be my bridesmaid one day even if I wasn't going to me yours.

I remember thinking out of all the people I went to school with, you were someone I could imagine myself staying friends with after we finished school.

I remember annoying you and hating myself because of it, but I couldn't stop because I just liked you so much and wanted to be more of a friend with you.

I remember hoping to be those friends that would take lots of selfies together and go on adventures together and share more memories together.

And I remember drifting apart, and apart, and apart. I remember the sinking feeling for years and all the events that made us grow more apart. I got a boyfriend, we hung out with different people, I went and did Running Start, and then we graduated.

It didn't really seem like we drifted for any reason. I liked you, and as far as I knew, you didn't have a problem with me, but we just were pulled apart. We didn't have a falling out, we didn't have drama, but it just happened.

I tried to reconnect a couple times but it just wasn't going to work.

I remember sitting next to you at graduation, feeling like we were strangers. Not speaking besides a bit of small talk, and that was the last time we spoke.

But I still remember you, and miss you, and think about you, and I hope that you have friends that will last forever.