An Open Letter To My Musical Queens

An Open Letter To My Musical Queens

My formal demands to the musicians I urgently need new music from.

15
An Open Letter To My Musical Queens
quotesgram.com

To whom this may concern,

First off, this isn't going to be a long list of complaints. Actually, it really won't be negative in any way. These are the just thoughts that I've had for the past couple of years.

I consider myself a huge music enthusiast. Sure, I try to immerse myself in as many different genres as I can.

For the most part, the artists I am writing to would be considered pop. Some of them may stray away from it but these are primarily pop artists.

No, I'm not trying to harass these artists and demand music right when I wake up tomorrow morning, I just would like to explain how excited I am for new music next year.

But, if they decide to drop a new album tomorrow, I won't be mad.

With that being said, I would like to individually address each artist and just express my gratitude for their past releases and what I look forward on their next one.

Well, here goes nothing...

Lorde

So, as mentioned before, not every one of these artists is technically 'pop.' Lorde would be described as alternative rock.

When she first burst onto the scene in 2013, nobody knew what kind of impact she would have. Sure, everyone knew "Royals" and "Team" but the true wonders lie on her fantastic debut album "Pure Heroine."

This album took over my life becoming the most played album on my iTunes. I know every lyric to every song and I will gladly sing them for anyone who asks. This album has had such an impact that I've even bonded with people over the album and quite recently too.

Before I forget about the other artists and make the entire article about this, I would just like to say to Lorde, that you have truly changed my life and even though I may never get tired of the album, I would like more music. I know you're working on it and making sure it's perfect but I just can't wait to make even more memories and maybe even meet more people.

P!nk

Now, an artist who needs no introduction.

P!nk is an artist who has been around for over a decade. Sure, at this point you could make the argument that she made her mark on the charts, but I still think she has more to offer.

Her last release was 2012's "The Truth About Love" and it quickly became my favorite album of hers. Yes, I've been a fan for years before and I know all of the singles that are played on the radio, but "Truth" was the first album of hers that truly made me feel.

There were moments that made me laugh because of cleverly she could fit her brutal honesty into her music, but I also connected with many of the songs on an emotional level. That's the greatest thing about P!nk. She can do these big, in-your-face pop anthems but she also can successfully sing the hell out of a piano ballad.

Don't get me started on that fantastic voice.

All I have to say to P!nk is that you're a pop force that deserves more credit than you get. I'm writing this to you because it's been four years and I need you back in my life. I hope you're working on something for next year.

LIGHTS

For most people, the name LIGHTS might not ring any bells. I've mentioned her and people ask me if I mean the Ellie Goulding song? No, I know what I'm talking about and I know who Ellie Goulding is and I like her too, but I just like LIGHTS a little more.

I discovered her almost ten years ago. She's been one the biggest musical influences in my life. I was able to successfully introduce to her a lot of my friends and I've seen her live four times.

How about a little background?

LIGHTS is a Canadian electro-pop artist, or "intergalactic pop" as she would describe it. Over the years, she's released three studio albums as well as a few acoustic records. Working with many producers and collaborators, her sound has expanded since her first album "The Listening."

Her last album was "Little Machines" released in 2014 and serves as my favorite LIGHTS album. With that record I feel like she finally found her sound and I can't wait for her to explore it more.

So LIGHTS, it's been two years and I hope to hear new music from you in 2017 so that I can see you live a couple more times and give people another reason to love you.

Christina Perri

Oh, Christina Perri. Such an incredible artist and performer. Most people should know her from her numerous radio hits like "A Thousand Years" and "Jar of Hearts."

When I heard her first album, I was obsessed. The ending song, "Tragedy," I would belt out at home when nobody else was home. Her music was something special in my life and I needed more.

In the three years between her first and second album, I would check constantly to see if she posted anything about the new album. I even had a dream about it. That's how much of an effect she had on me.

Finally she graced my life with her second album and I was greeted with more amazing songs. Again. I connected most with the last song on the album. This time it was a song called "I Believe," which could very well be the best song ever.

To Christina I say, thank you. "I Believe" has gotten me through so much and I'm glad that I discovered you when I did. I know you're working on album three and I just would like to ask for more music that makes me feel good about myself. It's what you do best.

Lana Del Rey

Next, we have a true queen. If you haven't heard of Lana Del Rey then you've probably been living under a rock. Lana is one of the most influential artists of the decade.

Her style can mostly be described as alternative or indie pop, but she pulls from music dating back to the 1940s. It's just amazing how she can take it and make it her own.

The thing I love most about her are her visuals. The videos she creates for her songs tell the story in such a beautiful way and not many artists can convey their messages so artistically.

Now, Lana released music not too long ago. "Honeymoon" came out in 2015 and it was such a great collection of songs, but Lana recently stated that she's already working on new material. She also said that it would have a more "pop-friendly" and "New York style."

This gets me really excited for next year. I loved Lana for her style, but I think that with the understanding she has for music, this album could dominate 2017. She already has a large following and with a pop record she could get more airplay.

Lana, all I have to say to you is just keep doing what you're doing. As always, whatever you come up with will be amazing.

Katy Perry

Finally, we have reached the end. Another artist who needs no introduction, but deserves one anyways.

It's Katy Perry, one of the biggest pop stars in the world. Ever since her first album in 2008, Perry has been my favorite artist. No question about it. I've been drawn to her music, her story, her everything.

One after another, she would create hits; adding nine number ones to her collection. Hopefully, she will reach the double digits soon.

It's crazy to believe the amount of success she has now. In the beginning, Perry was criticized for her vocal performance. Now, after years of practicing, she has silenced the haters.

In fact, Perry released one of the most iconic albums of the decade, "Teenage Dream." The album holds many of its own records while also tying one that is only shared with the legendary Michael Jackson.

Unfortunately, that album seemed like the peak of her career. Her 2013 followup "Prism" while still successful, lacked the effect that "Teenage Dream" had.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed "Prism," but it wasn't my favorite.

On a positive note, Perry has stated that she is working on her next record and she's trying some new things.

What I would like to say to Katy is, I know this is the one. Teenage Dream was incredible but I trust that 2017 will be your year and despite all of the haters, you will create a masterpiece. I also want to thank you for making music that not only pumps me up but touches my heart. You will always be my favorite artist and nothing is going to change that.

Honestly, my list can go on and on, but I think I've let out enough of my feelings. I hope that my words can resonate with others but if not, whatever. I said what I needed to say. All that's left now is to wait and see.

Until next time.

Love,

Riko