An Open Letter To The Little Sister Who Captured My Heart

Loving you taught me what what true love really is.

53
Ashley Thorpe

I have had many best friends throughout my life. I have too many family members to count. But there’s something special about that unique bond with a little sister, one that can never quite be properly explained. I thought I’d give it a try anyways.

I had just turned four years old when you came into my life.

The night before you were born, Grandma came over to stay with Mom and we all slept in the same queen-size bed. Mom kept chattering and chattering and eventually Grandma said, “You’re having a baby tomorrow. Go to sleep.”

The next day, a screaming bundle of baby was brought into this world. I was a helper, constantly wanting to hold and feed and change you. You were a part of me that I’d never had before, connected to me in a way I’ll never have with anyone else. You came into my life, effectively taking away 50% of the attention I had been receiving and taking up 100% of my heart.

I will never forget the little girl in my memories.

You’re honest to God a shining star in my life. I look at you and remember the little girl running around the house butt naked and pulling on the cat’s tail. I look at you and think of the toddler who caught everyone’s heart simply by being yourself. I look at you and see the outstanding, bold, intelligent young woman you are. You bring out the beauty in everyone and everything, because you embody beauty.

You challenge me in ways I never knew were possible.

I have met so many difficult people and encountered so many obstacles in my life, but you are by far the most challenging. There is a constant battle in my mind of thinking of you as the most annoying person I know while still knowing that loving you is how I learned what true love is. It is irreplaceable, unconditional, and there to stay no matter how much we fight and pick on each other.

I will love you always, even when I hate you.

I have pushed you down, but I promise you that I will pull you back up every time. I will always be there to listen to your problems and give advice, no matter how silly I think those problems are. When a boy that I didn’t know about breaks your heart, I will hate that boy with a passion, even when I’m mad at you for not telling me about him. When I steal your shoes and you yell at me about it, I’ll yell back all the while thinking, “These look way better on you.”

You have always been there for me.

And I will always be there for you, whether we are side by side or miles apart. You know my deepest secrets and my greatest fears and you have never told a soul. I will never forget the day we were in the car and I was crying my eyes out, body-racking sobs, and you just kept saying, “You’re the most amazing person, and if they don’t think that then screw them.” You knew exactly what to say to make me feel better, and you always do. You’re my partner in crime and my favorite driving companion. You’re the weakest and strongest parts of me.

You are my best friend.

And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Love you forever.