An Open Letter From An Over Involved College Student

When your to-do list and agenda book are your best friends

8

To the mere 24 hours in a day,

That simply isn't enough. There aren't enough hours in the day or days in the week for me to get everything done. My to-do list never seems to end, my hamper seems to always be filled with the clean clothes I have yet to fold rather than the dirty ones I need to wash, and my agenda's calendar doesn't have enough space to write all the events I must attend. And still for some reason, I don't know how to say "no" when asked to help out, get more involved, or take on responsibility. It's like my natural instinct is to automatically volunteer myself and figure out later how everything can fit in my schedule.

Surprisingly, somehow everything manages to get done efficiently, effectively, and on time. I'm not sure how, but it does. The days start early, end late, and consist of never ending running around in between. Having time for a 20 minute nap is an accomplishment, a rare one at that. My stress levels are through the roof, I have forgotten what getting enough sleep every night feels like, and I am constantly carrying a lunchbox so I don't skip meals, but some part of me knows it will all pay off.

In some aspects, it already has. My peers respect me, the faculty can rely on me, and I inspire others to get involved. Even with changing my major, I will be completing a four year degree in three and a half years, my GPA has only improved since freshman year, and my resume is difficult to keep on one page. My network grows as my list of skills lengthens.

I do not intend to brag, show off, or rub my accomplishments in anyones face. Approval and praise from others feels great, but nothing is as satisfying as self approval. Being able to look in the mirror and be content with the reflection looking back at you. This here is my reflection through words, a letter, an acknowledgement of my own hard work, dedication, and selfless contributions that led me to the path I am on today.

This is also to show my appreciation to my support system; to the one's who have seen me at my lowest points, shaking because the stress was too hard to handle on my own, thank you. I like to think I am strong enough to handle this all on my own, I may not enjoy hearing that I need to delegate more and take on less, but I know I need the help. So, thank you for pointing it out and making me realize it. Without the support I have backing me up, I would have burned out a long time ago and the stress would have won.

While the battle between stress and the over involved college student is yet to be over, every day stress is losing power.

Sincerely,

The over involved college student