An Open Letter To The Impulsive Girl

An Open Letter To The Impulsive Girl

There's Nothing Wrong With Who You Are

119
An Open Letter To The Impulsive Girl

You know who you are. You clicked the link because you know, deep down, that you live on impulse.

You live on the split second decisions that can vary from the type of food you order at Panera, to the pair of shoes you weren't sure you wanted until you walked up to the register, to the decision to go out and do something you've never done.

You will never know why you made that decision. Hell, you couldn't explain why you bought a forty dollar pair of shoes you will never wear more than twice and stare at in regret for months until you finally donate them. You couldn't explain that if you tried.

You hate the decisions you've made, but you accept that you made them. The dress was nice in the dressing room. The panini looked good until you ate it. The party was fun until you missed an experience you wish you had made instead. And you regret spending time with the mediocre people that you don't really like because you thought that they were having fun.

Impulse happens. It sucks. It makes you feel like crap because way, way deep down inside, you know that there's a hole somewhere that you can't fill. You don't know what it is, you might never know what it is. That's okay.

You are not broken because you buy a million things you will never use. You are not a mistake because you made a mistake in a split second that you can never take back. You are not worthless because you feel your life is made on worthlessness.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you six different ways to avoid impulse spending/eating/habits. I'm not going to lecture you on ways to develop impulse control. I'm not going to do that because I don't know how to stop impulsiveness.

I'm just like you. I don't know how to do anything not on impulse. It's a miracle that I have never driven to another state on a whim.

What I am going to tell you is that there is nothing wrong with you.

Impulsively accept that fact, and live your life. Take the clothes that you bought but don't want/use/need and give them to those who do. Take the experiences you kind of don't want and make them your own. If you don't like where you are in life, use that impulse control you don't have and make a life you can like. Use the impulsiveness of your decisions to make a better life that can maybe someday fill the hole you don't know how to fill.

Know that there is nothing wrong with the life you're living.

Know that nothing can make you as unhappy as hating the choices you've made and doing nothing to change them.

Know that you will one day be stronger because you went for what you wanted, whether you actually wanted it or not. There's not a lot of people who can say that.

People who don't live on impulse and whim will never have or know the excitement you have in the moment. That makes you different. That gives you stories to laugh years from now. That tells you what you like and don't like. It allows you the ability to say "I've lived, and I'll be damned if it wasn't a good life."