An Open Letter to High School Students

An Open Letter to High School Students

Advice on getting you through the best years of your life.

354
An Open Letter to High School Students

I'm here to share some advice and wisdom I've gained over my four years in high school.

Brace yourself for what is to come; it is definitely going to feel like hell sometimes. Make sure you have a strong group of friends that understand you and can help you through whatever it is that's hurting you. Keeping it inside won't help you, but will only make you more stressed out. Try to understand and assess the situation before you react. There's nothing worse than losing a friend over a stupid little argument.

While it's going to be hell sometimes, it will all help you in the long-run. Each and every heartbreak, failing grade, and mistake you make are just building blocks to the rest of your life. If you can learn to grow from your mistakes and failures, you will be able to bloom into your full potential. So, whatever you have your mind buried in, try to dig yourself out, and enjoy the time that you have.

This brings me to my next point; enjoy every second. You may think, "Wow, four more years until I can move out of the house! That's so long!" It's really not. Time flies by faster than you know it. Trust me. I thought graduation day was something that would never come, but it will be there in the blink of an eye, so enjoy the days as they come. Yes, even if it's a horrible day; try to find the light at the end of the tunnel, and make the best of what you have.

Step out of your comfort zone! Trust me, it will help you in the long run. You will meet new people and learn that sometimes new things aren't so bad. Join a new club or maybe even start one! You will make friends that will last a lifetime (shoutout to my theater squad!). Don't stay inside all day and night and scroll through Instagram a thousand times; that's not how you want to remember your high school years.

Keep your family close to you because you won't see them that often in college. It will probably be weird not being under the same roof as the people you have literally known since the second you came into this world, so make time for them before time runs out. Savor the hugs and homemade food for as long as you can before it's time to move into your dorm with someone you may have just met.

Study hard and keep focused. As much as I am emphasizing making memories and enjoying your time, studying is just as important. Although it's not everyone's favorite activity, every vocabulary word and math equation memorized will help you become a better scholar and will ultimately lead you to your dream college or university. I can't count on my fingers how many nights I stayed up until 3 AM trying to study for tests, but honestly, taking the time to study definitely paid off.

Most importantly though, have fun. These are the best years of your life, and you want to enjoy them because I know I did; I wouldn't change anything about them. I have made so many friendships and memories over these interesting four years that will never be forgotten. I am so excited for what is to come for me in college, and it was all thanks to my experiences in high school for getting me this far.

Adventure on.