An Open Letter To Guys Who Cat-Call Women

The uncomfortable feeling of walking past a group of guys is all too familiar...

17
Worthytoshare

To whom it may concern,

I don't think you realize how humiliating it is when you cat-call me as I walk by. Because of you, I'm always nervous when walking past a group of men, in fear that they will stare at me behind my back, or go so far as to actually not let me pass by. I really want you to think about what I just said- I'm afraid to just walk by a group of men. Why is it that I have to purposefully avoid eye contact and keep my head down so that you wont initiate anything? What I wear is no excuse. How I do my makeup is no excuse. What color my hair is or if I look "approachable" is no excuse. Newsflash- I never will want to talk to you. I don't think you've ever had to worry about being with someone else at all times, or having to keep pepper spray in your purse, or avoiding certain places after dark. This is an infringement on my right to feel free and unthreatened where I live or choose to go. The fact that I need to have someone else with me to walk the streets makes me feel like I did something wrong and these are the consequences. When in reality, men feel so entitled to any woman they see, so much so, that they would yell profane things and intimidate her. OK- not only does that never work- literally, but it also creates a culture where women have to learn how to not be assaulted verbally, physically and sexually. Where is the sense in that? Why are you, and men like you, not taking responsibility for your actions and teaching your sons how to not assault women? Why is that a lesson that is taught to young women? Surely that initial conversation between a trusted adult and a young women is the first time she experiences the gross gender inequality in our world. Soon after is the first time she'll cross the street when she sees she'll have to walk past a group of men. And after that? Her heart skips a beat because she sees out of the corner of her eyes a group of men blatantly staring at her. Even when she makes eye contact they don't look away. This is what goes on in the minds of the girls you cat-call. Do you ever take into consideration the fear you've instilled in the female community? No taking an Uber alone. No taxis alone. No walking alone at any time of the day. Don't trust that guy trying to give you a ride home after the party. Never give your number to anyone slightly unknown. What if we changed the dialogue, and started teaching young boys to respect women, to take no for an answer, to respect her as an equal, to not stare for God's sakes! You created this fear, now you're the only ones who can eliminate it and establish women's right to feel comfortable anywhere. Non-negotiable.

From,

Women everywhere