An Open Letter To The Friend That Always Has My Back

The friend that anyone would kill to have.

3184
Amber Raiken

I’m not going to list all our memories or describe the first time we met, that would take too long to list nor would it truly display how much you mean to me. I’m not going to say that we’ll be best friends forever or that you’ll always be in my life, since the future is never set in stone. However, what I will touch up upon is how our past has evolved into this remarkable present. As I’ve seen our friend group grow into a family, I've discovered different qualities in each and every one of you, qualities that have kept me going to this day. And something I’ve noticed the most about you is how you hold people up and fight to put them back together, no questions asked. That's why this is for you:

To the girl that always has my back,

You’ve never been a person to hold a grudge on anyone, or a person to put others down for their actions. You’re the friend that everyone can lean on throughout one of their strongest moments of weakness. I’ve been through some of my lowest times, and you’ve continued to encourage me to rise above them. You don’t get bothered when people are moody or anxious because you understand that everyone is flawed. Throughout every flaw or setback, you still support and hope for the best in the people, despite the fact that their ugliest side is showing. This understanding is filled with the utmost compassion, non-judgement and empathy that can keep a person moving forward, myself included. So for that, I thank you.

It’s really hard to predict which friends are going to fade away or outgrow you. And in reality, you can never expect who is going to stick around for the big stuff and who won’t. Throughout some of my biggest leaps, you’ve been one of the people to cheer me on during my success. When the world is filled with darkness, you’ve been the friend to guide everyone towards bright side. You’re the friend with a kind of sympathy and affection that everyone admires and someday wishes to gain. I can’t promise that our friendship will be like this forever. But I can promise that no matter where we end up, whether it be on the best or the worst terms, all these qualities in you is how you’ll be remembered.

You are the friend that everyone is rooting for to achieve greatness. When I think of all the good that there is in the world, you’re the friend that gives it out, as well as the one that deserves about three thousand times more than what she gives. Everyone knows you’ll work your way up to your absolute best, and even though you may be surrounded by a sea of high expectations, we all have this strong faith in you-no matter what you do. Right now, you have a whole team in your life rooting for you and currently, I’m one of the captains of it. Soon enough, that team will grow into an army. And whether or not I’m a part of that, I’ll never stop being proud of you or hoping for the best for you.

Thank you for always catching me when I fall. Thank you for always seeing the best in people when I only want to see the worst. Thank you for having one of the biggest and warmest hearts I’ve ever seen. Thank you for approaching this “girl with her headphones in” as she paused her music that day. And Thank you for being the girl that has everyone’s back throughout every failure, happiness and tears, something I’m grateful for everyday.

Love to you always,

The girl that still stands by you.