An Open Letter To The Best Friend I'm Leaving For College

"You're my right hand, you're my go to" - Drake

6966
Delia Burl

Dear BFF,

Where do I even begin? Thinking about countless memories we’ve had over the past four years never fails to bring a smile to my face. Texting each other every grueling weekday morning as we woke up at 6 a.m. for school, gossiping and helping each other with homework throughout the day, and giving each other updates on our lives every two hours, we have been inseparable. We spent birthdays and holidays with each other, went on vacations together, and had “girls’ night” bi-weekly, but in a few weeks, our friendship, location and lives will be different. There are so many things I will miss about you, including:

My ability to FaceTime you at all hours of the day with my current dilemma, even if it’s just helping me choose between two outfits.

Our jam sessions in the car, music blasting, bass bumping and surprisingly good rap skills for two collegiate white girls.

Food. Fat food. Who else is going to find some way to justify me eating my body weight in mac and cheese and fried pickles?

Our movie nights, where we can sings to the songs of "Grease", "Hairspray" and "High School Musical" without a care in the world. Also your generosity in letting me watch "White Chicks" or "She’s the Man" for the thousandth time.

Your mom. Every girl knows that their best friend’s mom is basically like a second mother, and it’s even better when she tells me she likes me better than you.

There are also some things I will not miss about you, including:

When you tell me we can’t go get the food I want, as I then proceed to beg you for the next 15 minutes, making excuses about why I need to go get Panera at 1 a.m. (I don’t even think they're open that late).

When you steal all the covers from me in the middle of the night, and push me into the corner of the bed - it’s called sharing.

Our disagreements. What girl likes to fight with their best friend, even if it’s about something incredibly stupid, and is over in ten minutes.

Finally, I’m just going to miss you. You’re my absolute best friend, the girl who always has my back, and the girl who never fails to put a smile on my face when I am feeling down. You have been by my side for the past four years, and I have been by yours. We have navigated the twisted web of high school together, through boy troubles, mean girl troubles, academic troubles, everything. We’re moving from 20 miles away from each other, to 500 miles away, and honestly, I don’t know if I can handle it.

We’ve laughed together and cried together, been through many more good times than bad, and no matter how much we fight, you will still be my absolute best friend. We will move from saying “I love you” after every time we see each other, to “see you soon”. While we may cry our eyes out as we say goodbye, I know that you will always be there for me, on my college graduation day, my wedding day, and every milestone for years to come. I love you BFF and I expect a weekly FaceTime and life updates.

XO,

Your Best Friend