An Open Letter To All Aspiring Artists

An Open Letter To All Aspiring Artists

Never give up on your dreams.

127
An Open Letter To All Aspiring Artists

Dear Artists,

You might be wondering what I mean by that. I don't mean just those who can paint a landscape as beautiful as Monet can, or someone who can draw a fantastic cartoon. I mean any and every person who creates something. Writers, painters, actors, actresses, musicians, photographers, and all of the other people that live and breathe literal art, read this letter and really, really understand it.

I, myself, am a writer. I am ninety percent sure that you have deduced that from the fact that I am sitting here writing this letter. I am also paint some, but my main focus in the world of fine arts is writing.

I have a reason for writing this letter. Surely you have all faced writer's block, or painting block, or anything of the sort. You know what I am talking about; the moment when you have the motivation, the sheer will, to create as much as you can...but your brain just will not cooperate. We're all familiar with it, and we all absolutely hate it.

My point here, is that even the hardest times, you cannot give up. No matter how hard it is to keep trying, just keep trying. Inspiration comes from everywhere. There have been days where all I have to do is walk outside, and inhale the fresh air and suddenly, I've got a whole scene running through my head and I just have to get it on paper as quick as I can.

My suggestion is that you try anyways. When you're facing some of the hardest times in your life, one of the best things that you can do is use your creative outlet as a coping mechanism. Even if what is hard for you, is a block to that creativity, just do it anyways. Slap some paint on a canvas until you feel like it is the way it's supposed to be. Write a story, even if it's short and you don't think it's very good. Write a poem, sing a song, draw a cartoon. Find inspiration from every experience you've ever been through.

I'm here to tell you to never, ever give up. If your dream is to be a published author, then don't let that go. If your dream is to have your painting featured in The Louvre, then keep painting. If you think, for one moment, that your dreams aren't important enough, then I am here to tell you that you are wrong. Write that book, paint that painting, sing that song, audition for that musical. The worst that can happen is that you don't make it this time. But eventually, you will make it. Somehow. If you were to ask me, four years ago, if I saw myself writing for The Odyssey Online, and working on my own novel with hopes of being published, then I would've called you crazy.

Your dreams are valid. Your hopes are valid. Your creations are valid. Start small. Post a picture of the painting you just did. Create a blog to start posting your writing works on. Make a YouTube channel for acting out skits that you audition with. Even if it's something as minor as that, you never who will see it, and so I implore each and every one of you to branch out, and search for success.

You will find it. Your dreams, though it won't happen right away, will somehow come true. This world is a cruel and unforgiving place. There are things in it that aren't beautiful. But dreams are some of the most wonderful, positive things you can possibly experience, so keep pushing yourself to keep those dreams alive. You're worth it. Your dreams are worth it.

"Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail." -Emerson

Above is my favorite quote, and it is the one thing that has kept me pursuing my dreams no matter what is thrown at me. Read it, and read it again. Write it down somewhere, or find your own quote that makes you want to keep fighting to keep your hopes and dreams swirling around until they finally happen.

Sincerely,

A Fellow Artist