An Open Letter To My 10-Year-Old Self

An Open Letter To My 10-Year-Old Self

The world and the way you see it is changing...

340
An Open Letter To My 10-Year-Old Self
ELI Africa

Dear 10 year old me,

How’s 5th grade going? Are you ready to move on to middle school? Get ready for a whirlwind of things kid, because life is about to take you down an unexpected path.

You’re 10 years old, and you’re carefree. Live it up! Go outside and ride your bike around the neighborhood. Stop being so afraid of bees. Please pay attention in math class. You’re 19 when you write yourself this letter, and let me tell you, you’re still bad at math. Hug your grandfather. Go bowling with him and your father more often. Ignore those bullies! You are radiant, kind, and funny. Never let anyone get the best of you.

Do you want to hear what the future has in store? You think you hate history class, right? Girl, let me tell you, wait until you get to 6th grade. You’re gonna love it. I’m not kidding. You are gonna have two really great friends to get you through middle school. You’ll know who they are. Middle school isn’t as bad as everyone says it is! The 7th grade is going to be your favorite year, I promise.

Have fun during your teenage years. Hang out with your friends whenever you can. You’re going to miss these days eventually. Stay up late on the weekends. When you go to dances with your friends, don’t just stand in the corner because you’re embarrassed to look like you’re actually having a good time. Get out there and sing along with everyone! Never be ashamed or embarrassed of who you are. Being a teenager is weird. It’s hard. These are the years you find out who you really are. You’ll make lasting friends and relationships. These are the days you’ll look back on fondly.

High school isn’t going to be anything like you imagined it would. You aren’t going to go to the high school you wanted to, and actually, you’re going to move to a different town. You’ll hate it at first because you’ll be a teenager in a strange environment, but you’ll learn to love it. Making friends in a new school and a new town is hard, but I promise you, you’ll make the best friends you’ll ever have. Oh, and by the way, those two friends from middle school? You guys will stop talking during your Sophomore year of high school. But don’t worry. You will get over it and the friends you make your junior year will be better times 1000.

Junior year is going to be the best time in your high school career. You’re going to have teachers that care, a job where you work hard, and friends who love you for who you are. Can I offer some advice, though? Remember, it’s okay to say no sometimes when people ask too much of you. Remember to put school and your own personal happiness first. One other thing about junior year - don’t drink energy drinks! Stick to coffee and you’ll thank me later, I promise.

Can you do me another huge favor? Never dye your hair! It is such a uniquely beautiful shade and it will take years to go back to its natural color. Don’t dye it bright red and never ever dye it a dark shade. If you really feel like you must play around with color, get some caramel highlights or something. Just please don’t dye your whole head. Remember, this is yourself writing this letter, so, don’t you think you know what you’re talking about?

Life is never easy, so when it gets tough, always remember that you are loved by so many people. There will be so many more people that you will meet that will leave incredible footprints on your heart and mind. You are beautiful. You are funny. You are kind. You are young in body and in spirit. There will be some rough times ahead of you. But, I promise, when you write this letter to yourself, you will know happiness.