Online Shopping: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

The pros and cons of online shopping.

3639

Pros

-No waiting

Let’s face it, this is the BEST pro of online shopping. Some people don’t have the time or patience to wait on lines, especially on days when it seems as though everyone in town wants to shop at the same place, at the SAME DAMN TIME. Also, shopping in-stores gets very annoying when you have to constantly change out of your clothes to try on different pieces, while all at the same time, making sure they are the perfect fit AND are appropriate for whatever occasion. Sometimes, when looking for a particular outfit, you may have to venture out to several stores before stumbling upon the right one. Who has time for that?

-Some things may not be in stores

If the item you are looking for is not in-stores, it’s more than likely that it is online. Typically, when something is out of stock in a store, whoever works there would usually direct a customer to the online website anyway or ask if it's preferred that the item get sent to your home when back in stock. Might as well save the trip and look for the item online because 99.9% of the time, it will be there.

-Online sales

This is probably the second best pro of online shopping. Of course, there are in-store sales but word of those spread fast. Clothing racks may look like skin and bones by the time you get the chance to shop. There is nothing better than an online sale that allows you to take your sweet time to cruise through the website to find your desired item. No carrying around clothes or hiding them to make sure someone else does not take them. Another great advantage is that sometimes the sales online may be greater than what it was in stores and usually last longer.

-Individuality

Unless it’s a very popular store website, shopping online almost guarantees that you won't have the same clothes as someone else due to many different boutiques that portray individual styles. People living in the same area are bound to shop at the same places so it is likely that if something is a decent price, more people will buy it resulting in more people wearing the same thing. Which isn’t bad at all but sometimes it’s a better feeling when you're one of the few people to own a particular item of clothing.

-Runs 24/7

Whether you are in your pajamas or on a work break, you can online shop whenever, wherever if have the right access (ie. laptop, smartphone.) This is great for those that are too busy to physically shop or just don’t feel like throwing on pants.

-No people or salesclerks

Retail therapy is a real form of therapy - well, for me at least. I prefer this therapeutic release without the bombarding or salespeople trying to shove more items down my throat or hearing children cry or rushing to get an item before someone else finally decides if they want it or not. My bed, my laptop, a few clicks and that's it.

Con

-Inaccurate sizing

This is probably one of the biggest disadvantages of a online shopping. There is obviously no possible way to try on your clothes before you decide to buy them, so you have to go with your best guess size. Some stores have sizes that run smaller, some have sizes that run larger and some are genuinely true to size. This could be problematic for those of us that don't have a "standard" body type or have weight fluctuations. It may take a few tries with the store to actually see how reliable their sizing is. I'd suggest checking out reviews of the website and the item before purchase, these can be very helpful.

-Shipping prices

Shipping prices are the annoying cousin of taxes. Unless you buy a certain amount of items or there is free shipping for the website, unfortunately, there will most likely be a shipping fee.

-Identity theft

Paying online can cause you to be more prone to identity theft. Repeatedly using your card number or even having it saved to your device increases your chances drastically. You are exposing your information to hackers and the people in charge of checking the validity of your card. Although more measures have been taken to stop identity theft, you never know who is out there or who may take advantage of your information.

-The wait

The wait for your clothes is not that bad but can be a nuisance. there may be some errors in shipping that cause a delay in arrival. This is especially bad when you really need the item for a certain occasion. On average though, delivery of orders take about five to eight business days depending, so plan accordingly. It is best to order an outfit two to three weeks in advanced, just to be safe. However, this does not help much when an unplanned event pops up.

-Money back is not always guaranteed

This is an issue I, and I'm sure many others, have had at least once. There are so many rules that come with returning items so it can be easy to miss something and not be able to get your money back. There are also deadlines for returns so if you are a little late, or there are mistakes in the return shipping, there are chances you may not get your money back. This sucks because for many stores, return shipping is not free so you'd be losing more money than before.

-Cant see the quality

Items may not be the same as they appear online. There is no way for you to feel the texture, see the color in a different light or check for damages. A bouncy, red dress may actually turn out to be maroon and the material may be heavier than expected Or, it may look a certain way on the model but completely different on you. Again, this is where reviews of the website come in handy. It's crucial to check them out before actually checking out.