"Mom" Is One Of The Best, Most Underrated TV Shows You'll Ever Watch

It's more than a TV show to me, so please watch the show "Mom" because they're sort of quietly talking about maybe cancelling it.

395
tvguide.com

Never in my life have I ever watched a more heart-wrenching, relatable, brutally honest, well-acted and scripted, and hilarious television show.

And guess what?! It's not an hour-long program like every other TV show that isn’t complete mind-numbing humor and/or crap! Amazingly enough, they're still making half-hour shows that have you connecting with characters even at their weakest or bitchiest states. And guess what again?! It airs on CBS. Yeah, that station that has/had "2 Broke Girls," "The Odd Couple," "How I Met Your Mother," "Two and a Half Men," and "The Big Bang Theory." (I gave you a good mix there. Please don't assume that I like them all OR LIKE HOW THE LAST EPISODE TURNED OUT.)

Yeah, I'm a college student, so you'd presume I'd have the patience to watch an hour-long show or binge watch a whole season of Orange is The New Black—which I WILL DO when the new season comes out, because, c'mon. We all know Daya is smart, so is she really going to risk everything just to shoot some douchebag guard?! Probably. I hope not, but at the same time...yes please.

In all honesty, for me, starting a whole new television series is almost as hard as starting a new book. Everything lasts an hour these days, which can take up more time than I want to give. And if it doesn't take up an hour of my life, sometimes watching it is practically like doing drugs; it's fun in the moment, but when it's over, not much has changed in your life, and life still feels dull and dreary afterwards. That's partly why I'm very picky about my TV shows. I haven't started watching many new ones since I've gotten to college, but I have binged most of Rick and Morty.

But there's one show I would steal monologues from if I were an acting major, and that's "Mom". This incredibly underrated show stars one of my favorite actors, Allison Janney (fun fact: she voiced the starfish in "Finding Nemo"), Anna Faris (whom I've been told is almost always found playing the ditsy blonde in everything else she's in. Also, she's married to Chris Pratt - not that that defines her as an actor or woman, because it certainly does not; me telling you this is just me saying, "damn, he's spicy, good job, Anna," and I thought you all should know this fact), William Fichtner (who is apparently Jamieson on the show "Empire." I don't watch it, either. It's fine, don’t worry), Matt L. Jones (who is apparently very popular in the show "Breaking Bad" as he plays Brandon "Badger" Mayhew), French Stuart (if you've ever watched "3rd Rock From the Sun" from the '90s, this is the guy who squints 24/7 and proudly says one of my favorite lines in television history: "I've come up with a new color. It's a mix of red...and yellow. I call it... red-yellow!" Stuart isn't in many episodes in the newer seasons, but he's one of the funniest, raunchiest characters so hey, why not mention him), and more.

"Mom", “created by Chuck Lorre, Eddie Gorodetsky, and Gemma Baker and distributed by Warner Bros. Television,” follows Christy Plunkett (Anna Faris) and her mother/roommate, Bonnie (Allison Janney) as they embark on a punch-you-in-the-boob-but-occasionally-beautiful kind of journey towards a lifetime of sobriety and well-being. Like Bonnie, Christy was a young mother who dealt with alcoholism and drug abuse for many years. Christy won’t ever fully forgive her mother for all the pain she endured as a child, but you can tell the two are now best friends—who occasionally make snarky remarks towards each other, just to remind the audience that they’re related and that forgiving and forgetting is harder than it sounds, but that you can still love each other through it all. Christy has two children, Violet (Sadie Calvano), whom she'd had at the age of 17, and Violet's half-brother, Roscoe (Blake Garrett Rosenthal). Violet begins to go down the same path as Christy and Bonnie in more ways than one, but the two won’t have it if they can help it. Bonnie and Christy are devoted to their family and friends, and it’s unbelievably realistic and raw. Bonnie and Christy are avid AA members (this is where the mention of monologues comes in—and let me tell you, I have cried countless times listening to some of these) who seem to eat many of their meals at the same restaurant with their delightfully unique and intriguing female friends from AA. (It’s funny that so many shows have characters sitting at a designated table in the same diner/coffee house/bar/restaurant, isn’t it?)

I could write a book about this show, but hopefully, you’ve gotten the point and will go switch on your TV right now. So, go watch the first few episodes if you don’t believe how good this is… and soon you’ll meet Jodie (Emily Osment) and it’ll wreck your life and destroy your childhood. (Yes, the girl who plays Lilly from “Hannah Montana” is in this for a few episodes. She plays a drug-addicted young woman who falls in love with a drug-addicted tattoo artist who leads her down an even darker path.)

So, why am I telling you to watch this show? Well, if you want a show where many of the characters are intelligent, unique, and badass women who can make you feel proud to be or know a woman; you sympathize or empathize for women everywhere; you watch people try to reach a sense of fulfillment in their lives; you follow people fighting addiction, this is the show for you. If you want to cry hysterically and laugh like a hyena in the same ten minutes, this is the show for you. If you love Allison Janney and want to see her character have the most meaningful and/or hilarious relationships you’ll ever see on television (and maybe even in real life), this is the show for you. If you want to love your life, this is the show for you.

Honestly, I’ve felt more moved and connected watching this show than I have from watching “Friends”—and if you really know me, you know I’ve seen every episode of “Friends” about as many times as I’ve washed my feet in the shower.