On the Importance of Saying What You Need to Say

If John Mayer hasn't convinced you yet
704

We all have something we need to say. Whether you need to stand up to the person who constantly puts you down or find the courage to tell someone how you feel before it's too late, chances are there is something constantly lingering in the back of your mind, waiting to be set free. Maybe you've tried before, but every time the words form in the back of your throat you choke them back down. Maybe you've swallowed your words so many times that you've forgotten what you're own voice sounds like. Maybe you're afraid because you know your words have the power to change things and that terrifies you. It can be scary to put yourself on the line and say how you feel, but it's important to overcome these fears, because if you sit back and hold your tongue, you'll never get what you really want out of life. Even worse you'll spend a lifetime wondering what could have happened if you only had the courage to say what you needed to say.

In the world we live in, everyone is so worried about 'keeping their chill.' Taylor Swift was right on the money when she wrote, "This is looking like a contest of who can act like they care less." Society has made it seem like caring too much is a bad thing and that we need to keep our feelings to ourselves to avoid being perceived as weak. We look up to people who are able to shut out their feelings and remain calm and collected in times of hardship. We are so afraid of telling someone what's on our mind because it requires us to abandon our rough exteriors and show people that we actually have *gasp* feelings. This is why we let ourselves wait to text someone back even when we want to respond right away. This is why we drive ourselves crazy trying to figure out how someone feels about you instead of just asking them. It's what keeps us up at night wondering and waiting for someone to speak up first.

The truth of the matter is, acting like you don't care in order to be 'chill', isn't worth it. Screw what society tells about caring too much. Whether or not we admit it, we all care a little bit too much about something. Holding back your feelings isn't going to make you feel better or give you any closure. Holding back what you need to say can end in one of two ways; you're going to spend forever wondering what would have happened, or it's going to spill out all at once without any warning. If you hold back, you'll never know and a part of you will always feel like you missed out on something worthwhile. On the other hand, if you keep holding things in, eventually they won't have anywhere else to go and they're all going to break free. This is what leads to embarrassing drunk texts and long overdue arguments that could have easily been avoided.

And if you really think about it, what is the worst that could happen if you tell someone how you feel? Sure, you may not get the answer that you want, or even any answer at all, but even these things seem small in comparison to not knowing. If there's something that you need to say, just getting it out and knowing that you said everything that you was on your mind is a huge relief. You'll feel better having a definitive answer than you ever would being curious. In this sense, telling someone how you feel is always better than holding it in.

And what if it saying what you need to say leads to everything you've ever dreamed of? The best things in life don't come from sitting back and waiting. Chances are someone needs to say something to you, and is just as scared as you are. By saying what's on your mind, you can give others the courage to do the same, and you can open up endless possibilities and opportunities. Speaking your mind seems like such a small thing when you think of all the good that can come out of it.

I'm not saying that telling someone how you feel is always going to be easy, but it is always going to be worth it. People will respect you more if you aren't afraid to say what's on your mind because they won't have to guess. So if there is something that you really need to say to someone just go for it, chances are you won't regret it. As John Mayer sings, "It's better to say too much, than never to say what you need to say again."