Olympians Respecting Their Flag

Olympians Respecting Their Flag

What does a participant in the Olympics owe the state? What does the US government do for olympians?

28
Olympians Respecting Their Flag
MorgueFile

I have notice a lot of uproar over some Olympic medalists not putting their hand over their heart during the national anthem for the USA. People are taking that as disrespect to one’s nation, and with that disrespecting them.

I find it funny that Americans get angry, you even hear of threats of violence, it is ridiculous. I would say they should put themselves in the shoes of an Olympian. But, I doubt most Americans, myself included, could even imagine mastering skills to such a degree. It makes you sound like an over sensitive couch potato. If you want the “representative” of “your nation” to respect the flag and anthem to your liking, go out there and win that fucking medal. Yeah, that's what I thought.

One argument I have heard is, “After all the state does for them, can’t they show some respect and appreciation?” But, these ignorant lot should look at what the state actually does to “help” these people get to where they are. Do you know how much tax payer funds are spent on training for these athletes? None (That is not a bad thing in my opinion). They have to pay from everything to air fare to hotel accommodations. These are no minor expenses. These people, often mere children, have to work hard to achieve this. These people have to train for years, most their entire lives, for brief moments in the spotlight. Without private sources of funding these participants would never have the chance to sharpen their skills or chase their dreams. They would have to find another source of income (rather than their actual skills and happiness) like selling cars (as were Tom Brady’s fears of failure). But through family, community and the general giving nature over others they are able to train to compete on the world stage. Because, after all, you can’t be the best at what you do without competing internationally. I’m the best in my house at Super Smash Bro’s, but that doesn’t make me king of the world. Michael Phelps (although I’ve heard he wasn’t a pleasant fellow from people who know him, being from Baltimore you know a couple people), had no help from the government to go on to win the most medals…ever. He dedicated his life to his craft, and made it into something that will stand out in history books.

But what does the state do to restrict the funding of these people? What restricts them from competing internationally, what keeps funding down? Well, first and foremost, no man or woman has rights to all of his property, per the word of the state. There are funds that are immediately taken from individuals of which none go to those Olympians, regardless of the individual’s choice. That alone could spur people’s empathy or (unfortunately) patriotism to funding their “representatives” (I don’t understand how someone represents another in an individual skills competition. That is like saying Joe Flacco represents my quarterback skill as someone in Baltimore, although I have very little skill in such craft. Even Michael Phelps is from Baltimore, do you think I’m a better swimmer because he’s from around here? Probably not. What does an individual sitting on the couch have to be proud of? Someone else doing something they can’t? Feeling some sort of accomplishment because of someone else’s success? It is insane.) Another state restriction would be passports. At least here in the US there is a “small fee” of hundreds of dollars to travel outside of its arbitrary rule. So, not only do they not help these athletes (which, again, is totally fine with me), but they restrict funding that they otherwise could put towards their endeavors.

People will also argue that without the state these games wouldn’t held since it is a platform for nationalism (support of one’s state). These games have been around for centuries. They are not going anywhere. There will always be an international stage for people to compete to be the best, so long as there is a demand from people wanting to know who the best is. But at the same time, who cares? If no one cared who the best swimmer was, okay. They wouldn’t get funding and Michael Phelps wouldn’t have his riches. Big deal. Maybe that money, those resources, could have been allocated to better someone else’s life, someone who was in need of help. Those resources wasted on judging who runs the fastest, the building of these small cities, often times funded by governments that are watching its own people starve, could go to actually helping society, actually helping people have a better life. That’s not that bad, right? But, even if people wanted to see who is best the games would continue. People would pay for it, so it would remain.

There will still be those that argue that the winners benefit because they earn winnings, they come out of it with something. Yeah, the winners may come out with a prize, but for the losers? They go back to training and begging for funds (not to say the state should get involved, merely that is what they as individuals will choose to do, get better). But, once someone like Michael Phelps wins a bunch of medals, and with that money, the state comes knocking at (down) his door. Not only does he have to pay federal taxes on his winnings, and on any money he makes in sponsorship through his success, even the state of Maryland comes in asking for (demanding) a share in his success. If anything, as an Olympian I would resent the state for: making it more expensive to compete internationally, stealing people’s funds so they can’t give them to me if they wanted to, and. stealing part of the earnings they only slowed me from attaining. I don’t see any reason why someone should show respect for such a state.