Things Only The Oldest Sibling In The Family Can Nod Their Head To
Siblings

15 Things Only The Oldest Sibling In The Family Can Nod Their Head To

There's something special about being the oldest child.

381
Lindsey McEvoy

As the oldest of four children, I have definitely found that there are both rewards and challenges that come with being the first-born. Being the oldest can be both exciting but also stressful at times. You get to watch your younger siblings grow up and provide them with guidance along the way. You're raised to be the role model for your younger siblings and are expected to live up to a high standard for them to follow.

To all the oldest siblings, here are 15 things we can all nod our heads to.

1. You play the third parent part and are called “bossy”.

You're the third oldest in the household so of course, you feel the need to take charge and tell your siblings what to do when the time is right. It's inevitable and we're all guilty of it at some point.

2. You get priority over things because you were born first.

First born = authority

3. You’re overprotective and feel responsible for your siblings.

media.giphy.com

It's your job to protect your siblings in their time of need. If something happens to them, you feel guilty for not being able to do anything to help them.

4. You’re the voice of reason when your siblings don’t want to go to your parents.

You've had to navigate things on your own and have had more experience than they have. You're the role model your siblings look up to.

5. Your parents set higher expectations for you.

As the first born, your parents expect you to set a good example for your siblings.

6. You’re probably closer with your parents than your younger siblings are.

You're at the stage now where you're starting to see things from your parents' perspective and understand why they do what they do. Your siblings don't see this yet and you're expected to act as the mediator.

7. You’re the guinea pig for trying new things.

Being the first-born means you're the first to go through every milestone. You're probably not even nervous anymore, even though all of your siblings are paying attention to how you handle new experiences.

8. Your parents were wayyyy stricter with you than with your younger siblings.

You had an extremely early bedtime compared to your siblings now. Your curfew was much earlier than theirs is currently. You weren't allowed to watch certain TV shows or movies because they were Rated-R, which was especially annoying when your friends could.

9. Your closet is always open, without your consent.

media.giphy.com

This is definitely one of the worst parts about being the oldest. Every time you look in your closet, another piece of clothing is missing or is crumpled in a ball on the floor, which you know for a fact wasn't your doing. As the oldest, "sharing" your things becomes second nature and you learn to just let it go.

10. You’ll always be the chauffeur/designated driver and you can’t get away from it.

Just because you got your license first, shouldn't mean that you have to drive your siblings everywhere, but let's face it, you're expected to.

11. You’re the first to leave the house and your siblings will miss you dearly.

media.giphy.com

It's funny that you don't actually realize how much your siblings like hanging out with you until you go away to college and then your phone blows up with texts from them saying they miss you.

12. You love your siblings more than anything and will do anything for them because you know they will do the same for you.

media.giphy.com

You have a deep appreciation for your siblings and realize that not everyone is as close with their siblings as you are.

13. You’d rather hang out with your siblings than your friends.

media.giphy.com

It's true! Sometimes you'd just rather get comfy and watch a movie with your siblings than go out on a Friday night until 2 a.m.

14. You’re expected to pay for your own things while your parents still pay for your siblings.

media.giphy.com

Once you get to a certain age, you're probably earning some type of income and at this point, your parents stop paying for materialistic things for you while your siblings are getting things for free.

15. You are their biggest cheerleader.

You love watching them succeed.

Being the oldest sibling is something that I've learned to love and wouldn't trade for the world. The #1 thing I've learned is that you can't screw up, because your siblings are always watching.