To The Person Who Sweats Like A Pig, Don't Worry, You're Not Alone
Health Wellness

It's OK to sweat like a pig, but it's not OK to feel bad about it

189

We've all had those days when the sun is constantly beating down on us, as if someone pointed a laser ray of sunshine upon us while yelling, "BURN BABY BURN!" Those times when we had to walk from class to class in those insanely high temperatures where our only motivation was to get to the next building and be in the AC again. While all of us have had those times, there are others that sweat constantly, whether its a nice 75 degrees or its 112 degrees out there.

To those that fit in this category like me, I want to remind you that it's OK to be sweaty. You may be a little self-conscious about that big sweat stain on your back after you take off your bag, or maybe those large pit stains, or whatever else it may be. You're not alone.

During my first week here at Baylor, we've had some insanely hot days. Considering our campus is quite massive and each class is a good ten to fifteen-minute walk from each other, going from class to class left me basically drenched in sweat. I would have times where I walked into class, feeling like I just came out of a pool or something. Yet, everywhere I looked people were definitely not as sweaty as I was. As self-conscious as that made me, it also got me thinking about others I've seen that have a problem with sweating. Everyone's body is different. After all, it's just our body's way of cooling down. There is nothing to be ashamed of, but I don't expect me saying that to be so magical as for you to immediately go, "WOW. Really?" Although, I did think maybe giving some tips as to what you might want to try to help your predicament. These are things that helped me so I hope they work for you as well.

For one thing, we should start with the basics. ALWAYS wear deodorant and carry some with you at all times. I've found stick deodorants to be more effective than spray, but like I said everyone works differently. Besides the deodorant, if you have a favorite cologne/perfume you like to use, it doesn't hurt to apply a little extra and keep some for later. The "later" I'm talking about is when you're about to be in a more social situation. Whenever you just came in from outside, maybe you just got to class or work or maybe you have a meetup with some friends, try to go to the restroom really quick to freshen up. If you need, go to a stall and take your drenched shirt off and air it out just for a few minutes.

If you're worried more about the smell, apply your cologne or perfume directly to where you are sweating the most. Also, if you are someone with clammy hands as well, doesn't hurt to wash your hands WITH SOAP and dry them off. In my case at least that lessens the "clamminess" of my hands for a little while. At least long enough to shake hands with whoever you're about to meet. My last tip would be to try to not think about it. Of course, that is hard considering you probably feel very uncomfortable and often hot; in the end, it's just your body doing its thing.

For every heavy sweater out there, please don't forget that you're not alone. We all sweat, regardless of age, weight, height, whoever you might be. Everyone reacts differently and you kinda drew the short straw. It is not the end of the world, and there are steps you can take to manage it. If you're not a heavy sweater, send this to the people in your life that are. Not to make fun of them, but to show them it's OK to have to deal with what they go through. And hey, if all else fails, you could always tell people you just came back from a killer workout!