How Odyssey Gave Me A Voice In College

How Odyssey Gave Me A Voice In College

In moments of fear and excitement, I found a place where I could write it all.

17
How Odyssey Gave Me A Voice In College
Unsplash

I first discovered Odyssey one day when I was scrolling down Facebook and I saw all these articles all over my news feed. I wondered what website this was that so many of my new college friends were sharing. I clicked on an article and started reading this personalized article. When I got to the end I was surprised to find that the author of the article was my friend. I thought, "How cool! His work got published." A few weeks later, I got the courage to ask a friend how I can join the team. After exchanging emails with the Editor-in-Chief, I was in and as some may say, the rest was history.

As a scared, excited, and enthusiastic college freshmen I had a thirst of adventure and taking risks. My first year of college was full of many new experiences. For the first time, I was actually in control of my life. I decided what classes to take, what to eat, when to do laundry, etc. There were also many decisions that I regretted my first year and I found myself wanting to write about them. I wanted to tell people the many stories I had in my mind about college and the life I have so far lived. I wanted to share my love for the arts, write about politics, the entertainment business, and college. Odyssey gave me the opportunity to do all that and so much more. It gave me the opportunity for people to listen no matter where they are. After high school, you lose contact with your friends. When you move away for college, you do not get to see your family as often as you used to. My writing has helped me in moments when I felt alone and it helped clear my head. It gave me the chance to share my thoughts and it helped me realize how alike we all really are. It also gave me the chance to take leadership positions. After months of working as a creator, I took the chance to become editor-in-chief and it has taught me so much.

College keeps you busy with constantly having to try and balance homework, jobs, and a social life. It is hectic and leaves almost no time to reflect. Odyssey can be used for that sole purpose; it is there when you have thoughts on your mind about any situation. You would be surprised how many people have been in your shoes. Being able to create and be in charge of a piece from start to finish is a good and indescribable feeling. You are given this freedom to tell your stories with no censors and it makes you that much prouder of the work you do. There is no better feeling than getting an email stating that your article is now alive and people can actually read it. There is no better humbling feeling than when you see people sharing your work online because it shows that people are listening. They are listening to your thoughts and opinions.

I will always be grateful for that day I scrolled down Facebook and discovered Odyssey because it is a huge part of my college years.