Poetry On Odyssey: College

Poetry On Odyssey: College

A Poem.

33

When the acceptance letter comes in the mail,

You cry, and scream, and laugh, and hug

On move-in day

You cry

And scream, and laugh, and hug

On the first day of classes

You put on your backpack

Turn your music up

And walk through an unfamiliar campus

You inhale, and exhale, and continue on your way

Studying for your first test is a challenge

You cry

And scream

No laughs or hugs.

As the days go on, you make more friends, come across more opportunities

You struggle

You thrive

Sometimes you do both in the same day

What guidance counselors don't tell you about college,

Is that

It is okay to cry

And scream

And laugh

And hug

And love

Yourself, your friends, everyone

College will be the best and worst years of your life.

You will lose yourself

You will find yourself

You will love the wrong people

And isolate yourself from the right ones

You will make bad decisions

You will make good decisions

College is a roller coater

Some days you are on top of the world

And

Some days the world is on top of you

That's just the way it goes

The guidance counselors don't mention these things

They mention your GPA, SAT scores, volunteer work

But not the important things

Like

Crying

Screaming

Laughing

Hugging

Loving

Don't be afraid of college

Whether you are a senior in high school

Or a senior in college

Remember to give your best to college,

And never let college get the best of you

Cry, and scream, and laugh, and hug

Until you get through it

Because you will.

I believe in you.

When You Make A Girl An Aunt, You Change Her World In All The Best Ways

When you make a girl an aunt, you make her the happiest girl in the world.

147842

My brother and his wife recently blessed our family with the sweetest bundle of joy on planet earth. OK, I may be a little bias but I believe it to be completely true. I have never been baby crazy, but this sweet-cheeked angel is the only exception. I am at an age where I do not want children yet, but being able to love on my nephew like he is my own is so satisfying.

When you make a girl an aunt, you make her a very protective person.

From making sure the car seat is strapped in properly before every trip, to watching baby boy breathe while he sleeps, you'll never meet someone, besides mommy and daddy of course, who is more concerned with the safety of that little person than me.

When you make a girl an aunt, you give her a miniature best friend.

There is something about an aunt that is so fun. An aunt is a person you go to when you think you're in trouble or when you want something mom and dad said you couldn't have. An aunt is someone who takes you to get ice cream and play in the park to cool down after having a temper tantrum. I can't wait to be the one he runs to.

When you make a girl an aunt, she gets to skip on the difficulty of disciplining.

Being an aunt means you get to be fun. Not to say I wouldn't correct my nephew if he were behaving poorly, but for the most part, I get to giggle and play and leave the hard stuff for my brother.

When you make a girl an aunt, you give her the best listening ears.

As of right now I only listen to the sweet coos and hungry cries but I am fully prepared to listen to all the problems in his life in the future.

When you make a girl an aunt, you make her the best advice giver.

By the time my nephew needs advice, hopefully, I will have all of my life lessons perfected into relatable stories.

When you make a girl an aunt, you make her a number-one fan

Anything you do in life sweet boy, I will be cheering you on. I already know you are going to do great things.

When you make a girl an aunt, she learns what true love is.

The love I have for my nephew is so pure. Its the love that is just there. I don't have to choose to show love every day, I don't have to forgive, I don't have to worry if it is reciprocated, it is just there.

When you make a girl an aunt, you make her the happiest person in the world.

I cannot wait to watch my precious nephew grow into the amazing person that I know he is going to be.