A Recap of my experience with Odyssey

Odyssey: An Epic Journey

My words flow onto the page much more fluidly, like a swift stream, rapidly making its way through the forest of my thoughts.

49
Odyssey: An Epic Journey
https://www.pexels.com/photo/classic-close-up-draw-expensive-372748/

People often ask me why I like writing. What do I write? My answer is, as always, the same. I don't know.

I started off writing solely about movies. Initially, it was extremely fun, and I was able to experiment with different writing styles until I had finally established my own writer's voice. Life was good. However, gradually it became quite repetitive, covering the same topics and stories over and over again. I felt like my writing had plateaued. I wanted something new and different, to erase the stagnation and create ripples of creativity in my brain. And then, I found the perfect opportunity.

Seeing Odyssey being advertised on Emory's Facebook page, it only took me a very brief visit to the website to know that this is exactly what I needed. A community of aspiring writers, primarily college students, coming together to create wonderful, personal, and innovative content.

Writing for Odyssey was an incredible experience. Perhaps quite aptly named after the Greek hero Odysseus, who went on an extraordinary quest, and had to push himself to overcome the challenges he faced.

Initially, it was difficult to come up with topics to write about - there were so many possibilities, where to begin? The other question was, how do I transition from writing about movies to exploring other creative styles?

I felt as if I was a beginner writer again - trying to find my own voice, thinking of how to structure my articles for the maximum impact. This gradually got incorporated into my articles over time, after reading materials by other, more experienced writers, as well as guidance from editors, to make my articles more professional sounding. My goal was to be able to produce work that evokes powerful emotions amongst the readers, and I believe that writing for Odyssey allowed me to take a crucial step forward in that regard.

It also served to build a strong sense of community with the other writers at Emory, as we discussed article ideas and gave each other feedback on our writing. Having like-minded people read through your work is an excellent way to learn how to improve upon your writing, and I believe it really showed in my work.

Now, as I reflect upon my journey with Odyssey, I realise how much of an impact it has had on me. In the span of just a few months, I've become an exponentially better writer. My words flow onto the page much more fluidly, like a swift stream, rapidly making its way through the forest of my thoughts. I've learned to draw inspiration from the events of daily life - whether it be through a passing dialogue with a friend, or through a more persistent, personal struggle, as long as you believe in what you write, it will be a powerful message. I would like to end with this: perhaps the most important lesson I learned from writing for Odyssey is the importance of confidence one's work, which results in a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Why do I like writing? I write for me, not for anyone else.