Why Ocean City, NJ Will Always Be More Magical To Me Than Disney

Here's 8 reasons why it is truly the best.

30
www.digitalcommonwealth.org

Before I discovered the famous castle and walked down the iconic main street at Disney World, I spent my time vacationing at a place I believe to be even more magical and relaxing: Ocean City, NJ. From as early as I can remember I spent my summers vacationing at the family friendly beach town. Every summer my parents would always rent a house for a week or if we got lucky; 2 and the moment we packed all our stuff in my family’s two SUVs and drove across the bridge to the island, I knew we were about to have a fun filled escape with lots of memories made. I grew up going to the shore countless times, even just for quick day and weekend trips in the spring and fall. Ocean City will always have a piece of my heart and the second I smell the sea air I know I’m home. This New Jersey beach town has so much to see and do, while still being a relaxing vacation. To cure you from cold-weather blues and get you looking forward to summer 2017, here are some reasons why it is so great and can outshine Disney World any day:

Playland’s Castaway Cove and Gillian’s Wonderland Pier

These two amusement parks located on the famous 2.5 mile boardwalk are filled with countless rides and arcade games. From thrill rides to kid friendly carousels and the ferris wheels where you get breathtaking views of the island, their are rides and amusements for all.

Miniature Golf

Ocean City is known for their miniature golf and let me tell you they do not disappoint. With close to a dozen courses to choose from their is a miniature golf option for all skill level and those wanting varying themes. Pirate's Golden Galleon which is pictured above is my personal favorite with two course to choose from but others like Congo Falls and Haunted Golf are also a hit.

Gillian’s Water Park

If you head to Gillian's Water Park on a hot summer day you know you are going to have so much fun and stay cool while doing it. The water park has a few thrill slides, a lazy river and an area for young kids to let loose. This is a great alternative from the sometimes very crowded beaches.

The Famous Pizza and Ice Cream

Ocean City has a lot of great food choices from cheesesteaks to pancakes for breakfast, but two foods Ocean City does better than anywhere else is pizza and ice cream, both summer staples in my opinion. For pizza I recommend the two most famous joints on the island; Manco & Manco and Primo's, both thin-crust style pizza with great sauce and always made fresh. As for ice cream my personal favorites are Kohr Bros for custard and George's Ice Cream for homemade ice cream and endless flavors. You can't go wrong with an ice cream cone in the middle of summer and in Ocean City you don't have to.

The Beaches

Offering 8 miles of sparking white beaches for you to unwind at and catch some waves. In the summer months they are packed with residents and vacationers wanting to soak up some sun and swim in the guarded areas. They are prefect for a relaxing walk and finding sea shells, and the sunsets from the beaches can't be beat.

The Boardwalk

It is not a surprise that the 2.5 mile boardwalk in Ocean City is iconic. It is a great and safe place to jog or ride your bike in the morning, and at night they come to life with music and lively attractions. The boardwalk is also the perfect place to pick up a souvenir like an Ocean City t-shirt or keychain. You will never run out of things to do or places to shop on these boards and the food options are limitless.

Brown’s Donuts

Speaking of great food offered in Ocean City, nothing compares to a warm old-fashioned donut from Brown's. These donuts are to die for and they have been serving them up since 1976. With only 6 flavors available, they keep their donuts simple, but no less delicious, with the vanilla glazed and cinnamon sugar being my personal favorites. The line of these donuts can get long by late morning in the heat of the summer, but it is definitely worth the wait.

The Famous Music Pier

The Music Pier has a long history dating back from 1928 and is located right on the heart of the boardwalk. This venue holds shows and music events all throughout the summer and the rest of the year. It offers a great variety that appeals to families and adults of all ages. If you're in Ocean City you definitely always want to check the calendar of events to make sure you're not missing the chance to see some great entertainment at the famous venue.