Is alcohol bad for you

I’ll Have The Occasional Glass Of Wine, But Making A Habit Of Drinking Just Isn’t My Style

I'm not anti-alcohol, but I don't always need a drink in my hand to be happy.

523

As a female in her early twenties, I sometimes feel like an outsider because of my alcohol preferences. I consider alcohol to be an occasional beverage for certain situations, but that's about the extent of my consumption.

I've been pressured to drink when I didn't want to and as a result I was judged when I stood firm in my refusal. Sometimes the insistence of those trying to get me to drink has been so obnoxious that others had to get involved just to get them off my back. People have also interrogated me as to why I don't really like to drink and given me a hard time as if I owed them an explanation.

People who aren't crazy about drinking do actually exist and they deserve respect.

First of all, I'm not completely anti-alcohol. For example, if I'm going to the pool with my man for the first time in a while, we might make piña coladas. If I'm planning to make a fancy homemade meal, I'll probably grab a bottle of wine.

But you won't find me drinking on the daily, or even close to it for that matter, because why should I want to? Alcohol is a drug and it's toxic to our bodies. I want the least amount of these harmful chemicals entering my body as possible. In fact, I could give it up for the rest of my life and not even be bent about it.

It's not like I need alcohol to "calm me down" after a long day. There are plenty of other options for relaxation I prefer that don't involve toxins, such as taking a bath, reading a book, or just talking to a loved one.

I don't need alcohol to "have fun." Alcohol doesn't make or break a good time for me. All I need is the right company, and once I have that, nothing could possibly make the time more enjoyable. Not even a perfectly made margarita.

And I sure don't need alcohol to "celebrate." While I don't mind having a glass of something for a celebration, it won't ruin my night if I decide to pass. If I'm celebrating something then that should be the center of my attention, not what I'm consuming.

Stop looking at me as if I morphed into some strange, never before seen creature when I tell you drinking just isn't my style. You are quick to ask me why I don't want the drink you offered me, but you never give me a valid reason as to why I should take it.

I don't think I'll ever understand the hype behind alcohol. At the end of the day, no one deserves to be disrespected over not wanting to do (or consume) anything.

The next time I refuse the drink you offer me, instead of pressuring me to take it, look at it this way, since you clearly love it enough to push it on someone else: more for you.