Obama's Top 10 Accomplishments In Office

The top 10 accomplishments as Obama faces his last 10 days in office

197

As our current president, Barack Obama, enters his last 10 days in office I thought it would be good to look back at his top 10 accomplishment's while he was in office within the past eight years. Whether you loved him or hated him, he did more for this country than he is given credit for. He has made history and changed the course on what we will look for within a president from now on - and you can see that within the current presidential race. The disdain for both of the current nominees is a clear example of the standard that Obama has set, and his act will be a hard one to follow. So, without further ado, President Barack Obama's top 10 accomplishment's.

1. He restored diplomatic ties between the United States and Cuba

Now, I am not saying that everything between the U.S and Cuba is all fine and dandy, but there have been over sixty years of tension between the two countries. This is the beginning of mending a very rocky relationship and in turn could bring about prosperity between the two countries.

2. He improved the economy and avoided a depression

Not only has he been able to reduce our unemployment rate to 5% - and keep it there - but he also created more jobs which helped to aid and stabilize our economy. Since Obama has been in office, he has overseen approximately 13.7 million new jobs throughout his term in office. Also, he jumpstarted the economy during the worst recession since the Great Depression. In the wake of the global recession, Obama signed the Recovery Act, which cut taxes and saved millions of jobs.

3. More American's are covered by health insurance.

Since Obama signed the Affordable Care Act in 2010, the number of American's without health insurance dropped below 10% for the first time ever. I know that there is a lot of controversy with the whole act, but I still consider it an accomplishment. Especially with the availability of health care provided to those on low income or are under the poverty line.

4. He's done more for the LGBTQ+ community than any other president.

Not only is he the first President to openly support gay marriage, he took a stand against those fighting the rights of the gay community. He first repealed the 'Don't Ask; Don't Tell' law in the military, formally allowing everyone in the military to fully be who they are without fear of backlash. Now, I'm not saying everyone ins suddenly okay with gay rights, but this gives the soldiers a safety net where any discriminatory act can be fought against for justice of the people. This had in turn brought about the Supreme Court found that homosexuals have the same rights as heterosexuals with marriage and made it law throughout all 50 states that same-sex marriage be legal.

5. He took action against Wall Street

Obama signed the Dodd-Frank Act, which holds Wall Street accountable in the event of another financial crisis.

6. He was a key leader in fighting for the Paris Agreement

For those who do not know what it is, the Paris Agreement is an agreement between 190 countries in an effort to combat global warming and climate change. The Paris Agreement establishes a long term, durable global framework to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions.

7. He worked alongside the Iran Nuclear Deal

President Obama along with five other countries had come together and struck a deal that prevents Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons.

8. He reformed the student loan program

President Obama signed legislation to expand college access for millions of young Americans by revamping the federal student loan program in what he called “one of the most significant investments in higher education since the G.I. Bill.” This allowed college students to refinance their student loans at a lower rate.

9.He appointed the most diverse Cabinet in history

This includes more women and minorities than any cabinet the United States has seen before. There are still more strides to be taken towards creating a cabinet as diverse as say the one in Canada, but it is still a step in the right direction.

10. He made history by being the first black President ever.

He fought against prejudice, bigotry and racism and he has made an impact. He's the first black president of the United States and this is so huge because no only does it show the countries growth - although we still have long ways to go - but it also gives hope for the children who face the same forms of discrimination. He has given hope to the minorities within the country that if you work hard enough, keep your head up and ignore what others think or say about you, you can make your dreams come true.

Whether you like him or not, Obama has done a lot for this country and has fought to bring a better America. So this November, practice your right as an American citizen and vote. Don't let hate win, and don't let the progress that we have made backtrack.